MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Scary-truth about CO legal pot...our experiences too

Mt_Rider

https://newswithviews.com/rocky-mountain-high-has-brought-devastation-to-colorado/

This is a situation that is escalating.  Certainly there is beneficial medical affects from some components of cannabis.  

=-=-=-=-=-

I know of a place that grows and develops plants with lower and lower levels of THC [the stuff about getting high] and increasing the CBD [the medically helpful stuff].  Their product is an oil....not smoking.  The oil in this case, is for treatment of seizures [especially in children] that has had EXTRAORDINARY results in a high percentage of kids ...even ones that HAD REGRESSED due to seizures to nearly brain-dead/non-functional.  Some kids do not seem to benefit ...sadly.  Hopefully they are looking at the long term affects as time goes on.

-=-=-=-=-=- 

I've also know folks with MS who have taken a few puffs before bed to calm the muscle spasms so they could sleep.  They were truly using it medicinally....and sparingly.  That was long ago before even the medical aspect was legal.  {No....I've never used this for medical or recreational reasons...not my style But I would have tried the oil for a child with seizures!

=-=-=-=-=-

DH and I had personal experience with the initial wave of real and not-so-real medical pot shops.  One shop rented space next door to DH's chiro office.  He'd been there a decade and his patients were NOT impressed with the new neighbors. 

1--this one had a "bar" atmosphere...folks hanging around by the door (inches from DH's door).  Smoking, swearing, crude jokes inside that were heard thru the ceiling.  The whole tattooed-tough appearance.  Scared DH's family-type folks.    This is a small medical/professional one level bldg...until THIS "medical" facility rented.

2--It cost DH money to employ a security company due to the attempted break-ins at the pot shop.  We were called by police to drive alllll the way over to the office at 3AM....due to a break in that involved DH's office as well.  Trying to go from his office, thru the ceiling to get the good stuff. 

3--DH eventually moved from his long-term space to the other end of the bldg...more $$$ and bother to change address on EVERYTHING. 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=

Recently, our local/regional CO newspapers have been bringing up HORRIFYING stories of how drug cartels from scary INTERNATIONAL places are setting up here in this state:runcirclsmiley2:And we have so many conveniently remote areas to burrow into.....  :banghead:    [which means if you have a BOL....ya might wanna check the neighbors...]

If you own a rental home in remote CO, you need to be VERY discerning about who you rent to.... :unsure:  Homes are being completely destroyed by the high humidity of indoor hydroponic gardening of pot.  Mold and mildew are not usually seen in arid CO....and these growers are not venting properly.  Since they are not legal growers, they try to remain hidden.  An increase in electricity and/or water.....might tip off a visit from sheriff's dept.  [good thing we didn't get a visit when a gusher-leak in the well pipes caused our well pump to run constantly for a month and triple our usual elect. bill]  :o

Local law enforcement from these tiny communities are obviously "in over their heads" .....although they've been getting up to speed quickly in some places.  But WHY SHOULD a small town 'Sheriff Andy Taylor' [much less 'Deputy Barney Fife'] HAVE to deal with this international cartel catastrophe?  :tapfoot:   Send the state legislators into the pot grower homes first!  Hmph!

Then you add all the OTHER SERIOUS PROBLEMS MENTIONED IN THE LINK ABOVE, that have happened all over our state due to proliferation of this drug..... 

And you saw that box revealing the INCOME TO THE STATE due to taxes on this NEW INDUSTRY?  Give ya three guesses why they REALLLLLY voted in this nightmare.  $$$$$$$$$$$  {why do you think they also brought in legalized gambling to this state....and it's turning out with some of the same downside affects}

MtRider  .....that's a lot of tax revenues HOWEVER...the cost of this choice may be much higher in the long run.  :sigh:    Let those who will hear....be warned.... 

SAME thing is happening (or will begin to happen) in my relatively "small" town in Calif! The County wants to ok it, but the City doesn't (or is it the other way around? :/ ) A smaller town just north of here has already voted for "legal" shops in their community. :(   All over the state it is now legal for RECREATIONAL use and is no longer restricted to medicinal purposes! You have to be 21, and you can only smoke in the privacy of your own home. RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Violations are nothing more serious than a citation.  :( Same thing for meth in this idiotic state! Is it any wonder that there are cars being stolen or broken into every day? Or that theft in ALL types of businesses has increased, including break-ins and shoplifting! The jail is full so there is no place to put these criminals, and THEY KNOW IT! It's a revolving door. Commit a crime; get booked and released with a court appearance date; commit another crime while you are waiting to appear in court on the other one!!! It took OVER A YEAR for the person who was in possession of the registration from my stolen car to appear in court for sentencing. She just kept piling on the charges and when she finally appeared they plea bargained most of it away! She was found guilty on the car theft charge and is supposed to be paying me restitution for my deductible and a few other things, but.................................

It's totally crazy when WE think we know better than GOD how to handle law breakers. :(

5a6be41dcdd0d_Newsarticle1.thumb.JPG.8114c6c312ada60077b97ae6f1554ddf.JPG

5a6be41f8ee71_Newsarticle2-a.thumb.JPG.f4768436f37e85b1e462b537d8dc50dd.JPG 5a6be420ead46_Newsarticle2-b.JPG.ed8d72c56718c148b6f7ab91778ce4d4.JPG5a6be42229f99_Newsarticle2-c.JPG.c90e226ce3b9bab39a6fbe0cc446513e.JPG5a6be4232e71c_Newsarticle2-d.JPG.d8eab752deba4dd0ee42423323453048.JPG

• Sad 2

It became legal in Ohio this year for medicinal purposes. I don't agree that it should be legal for recreational purposes at all. I think it has a use as a medicine but with a prescription. I'm not up on how it all works so forgive my ignorance, but isn't the medicinal kind different from the recreational kind? I was under the assumption that the medical kind doesn't get you 'high'. I don't know.

I do know that if I was in pain and it was the only thing that helped me, I'd take it. One of my biggest fear of cancer is the nausea and vomiting and it's supposed to help with that along with pain. I've never taken an illegal drug and I've never smoked anything (not even a puff from a cigarette) so I do know I wouldn't smoke it. I'm not sure how I'd get it in me. Pill or lotion I guess.

I know someone who lives in Oregon and she said it is a mess out there too. Similar to what you described in CO. You can't really move away from it because sooner or later it will come to your state.

Bottom line is I don't think it should be legal except as a prescription from a doctor. Not for recreational use. It is so hard for people to get pain medicine (legally) now because of all of the drug abusers. I hate that. So, I understand why some people turn to it. I hope I never have to make that choice. But I hope I don't have to suffer either.

• Like 2

Oregon is definitely a mess. Small towns like mine that were already struggling with the meth crisis, and now we have this too. Theft has gone up in our town SO MUCH in the past year or so. Homeless problem is getting worse. And UGH it STINKS!! Working in a customer service job, the sheer number of folks who walk through our doors each day with fumes just rolling off them is enough to make me lightheaded. 

And (of course) it's getting into the schools in ridiculous numbers, despite it being illegal for kids. Our small town high school has had law enforcement called to it for drug-related activity more times in the past four months than in the past four YEARS combined. 

I firmly believe it has its place in medical usage. But so does morphine. And neither of them belong in the general public's hands. 

• Like 5

It's legal in Michigan for medicinal purposes. I have heard that our state police is not for legalizing pot anywhere in our state, for any reason. People have started opening up shops to sell the pot to people, in my area, if someone opens up a shop and they are not following the law to the letter of the law they will be shut down. In the last two years, 6 shops have been shut down around me. one of the shops got shut down, the owner got arrested, and as soon as he could, he opened back up. Turns out, he had his pot growing outside and it wasn't fully enclosed and that was his wrong doing. I'm still not sure he is in the clear, and if I know my area, he will be shut down again soon. 

A few weeks ago I learned our local bowling alley is no longer going to be a bowling alley. It's going to become a dispensary for medical marijuana. An entire bowling alley. It was one of the last family friendly places within 20 miles of me. Of course, since I live pretty rural, there aren't a lot of options. 

My husband who passed away in 2014 had stomach cancer. He got his card and took CBD oil for the pain. It was the only thing that helped, so I'm not against it, but it has to have it's limits. I feel like these laws were passed with little to no oversight. The officials did not have a plan on how to regulate and enforce medical marijuana, when it was first passed in Michigan people  smoked it on the streets and obviously be high (medical marijuana is high in CBD so getting "high" should not happen). When the person was confronted by a police officer they would show them their card and be off the hook. They seem to have gotten a grip on that behavior, thank goodness. 

There needs to be more oversight on how the grower's manufacture their medical marijuana and how people get it. I don't know about other states, but here, it is very, very easy to get your card. 

• Like 1

Last year I heard that even though an individual state approves pot, the federal government takes precedence over state law and the federal government has not legalized pot. So basically, even though it is legal in some states...it really isn't.

States legalize pot but not federal government...but nothing is done about it.

States have sanctuary cities but federal government says illegal immigrants are against the law...nothing is done about it.

I live in a world I don't understand.

• Like 1