MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

BH&G Magazine - Special Interest Publication

MrsClark

I picked up a Better Homes and Garden magazine at Walmart yesterday, it was $10 which is a bit high, but I didnt even look at the price!

It just says CANNING on the cover page and is choc full of canning recipes. 120 ways to savor the season year round, it says on the front. The recipes arent your typical recipes, they are things like Strawberry Margarita Jam, with tequila and triple sec actually in it! Sour cherry and amaretto Jelly, honey-bourbon pickled blueberries, spiced blueberry jam, tomato-basil jam, rhubarb and rose petal jam, white chocolate and rasberry spread, cider-spice jelly, carrot cake jam, vidalia onion and maple conserve, Lots of salsas, sauces and relishes. Watermelon pickles? Freezer james, pressure canned and even unprocessed items. There are tons of great pictures and tips on how to use the recipe.

Hurry and go get one!!

YUM!!

I saw that, but the first five recipes I flipped to at random had things in them I'd never eat. Let me know what you think after you try a few, please.

While I think that those recipes sound like a good idea, I know that I couldn't make most of them!

Let's see... Two cups of strawberries... a cup of sugar...3 ounces of tequila...and an ounce of triple sec...

That seems like a bit too much sugar, let me reduce that a bit.

Three ounces of tequila...That seems like a bit too much. Let me taste that tequila first to see if it will be too strong. :bev:

Mmm...okay... I guess that 3 ounces would be good, but the canning process will probably cause the alcohol to evaporate. Let me add a bit more...

Triple Sec...hmmm... I'd better increase that amount too. I wonder what triple sec tastes like by itself. Hmmm...I don't know. Maybe I should add a little tequila to it. Some of that orange flavored Juicy Juice would prolly be pretty good with it too. I don't want to get any of the strawberry syrup on the cabinets, I'll just use this quart sized canning jar as a glass. I can't can with it anyway because it has a chip in the rim. I'm so glad that hubby left a couple of tired ice cubes in the tray... :bev:

Mmmmmmm...not too bad! :wub: I should mix up some more of this. It 's a really hot day and this is quite refreshing. :bev:

All of this canning is making the kitchen heat up! :knary: I probably should get a few jars in the canner when I finish this drink. I hope there's enough water in there... :canning:

It feels good to get my skin all steamy...like a facial sauna thingee... I really should paint my nails... :nail: This gardening has been hard on my hands! I think I'll do that when I finish another jar of this refreshing summer beverage...:bev: I should just throw some spaghetti in this big pot of boiling water for dinner. Ya know, my nails really don't look as bad as I thought...:sleep1:

This is just a joke! I'm not advocating the operation of a canner while mixing your own drinks! And I'm really not recommending that anyone mix their adult beverages in a quart-sized canning jar!

OMG Martian, you had me laughing so hard I was crying, then I had to read it again to my hubby cause he wanted to know what was so damned funny, and it was even funnier the second time around!

Now I need a drink!

TMC~ I'll be there in 12 hours to help. We can take shifts!!!:happy0203:

That's a good idea, but I'll have to pay you jar and a half to compensate for the long hours! Do you happen to have a chipped half GALLON canning jar?

I have a box (unopened) of chipped half gallons. :whistling::laughkick:

TMC~ I'll be there in 12 hours to help. We can take shifts!!!:happy0203:

That's a good idea, but I'll have to pay you jar and a half to compensate for the long hours! Do you happen to have a chipped half GALLON canning jar?

While I think that those recipes sound like a good idea, I know that I couldn't make most of them!

Let's see... Two cups of strawberries... a cup of sugar...3 ounces of tequila...and an ounce of triple sec...

That seems like a bit too much sugar, let me reduce that a bit.

Three ounces of tequila...That seems like a bit too much. Let me taste that tequila first to see if it will be too strong. :bev:

I like the way you cook! LOL

And I'm really not recommending that anyone mix their adult beverages in a quart-sized canning jar!

But I do advocate drinking adult beverages out of a quart sized canning jar ... :D

Archived