MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

INFO ~Watcha canning?

Guest Guest

It is hard to put my finger on exactly what is addictive.. cause all the work... blanching, peeling, slicing and dicing, chopping and cutting and ripping and tearing, boiling and heating the house...that ain't the fun part...

hearing the ping, wiping each jar as I place them in the cupboard, stepping back and seeing the jars just shine, knowing that *I* did this! Seeing the jars winking at me when I open the cupboard doors deciding what we will have for dinner, remembering that I touched each pea or corn kernel, cut each piece of meat makes me smile...

...but when I see the smiles on my families faces as they are eating, taking another serving and looking around to see if there is more as we chat about the days events, truly warms me all over.

it is hard to pick just one thing that makes canning addictive.. but if I had to sum it all up in one word... it would be Love.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I pulled out the pressure canner....and I have the book out to read cover to cover before I start. I have planted a portion of my "fall" garden....corn, black-eyed peas, green beans, yellow wax beans, canning cucumbers, carrots.....in another week I will be planting more. I need to read it this weekend so I am ready when the harvest is....which is still a ways away. I might try and do the chicken broth to give me experience.

Great!

Hey, I see you're in Southern CA... have you felt anything from the series of earthquakes down near Obsidian Butte? (WAY down...)

And I should ask you CA people... how would you keep your canning jars safe in an earthquake?

• 2 weeks later...

Cat, no I haven't felt any of those earthquakes. My dad and I were just talking about what we are going to do to prevent our canning jars falling and breaking. My dad built shelves for my walk-in closet to store these, and we are going to add a strip of wood to hold the jars in place within a few weeks. They should be secure the way my dad plans to do this! I would hate to see all that hard work go so quickly!

Lots of canning going on here this summer too. Although I wish I could have done more!

Off hand about 30 pints of beans. This is the first thing I ever pressure canned !! Dilled beans, pickled beets, tomato sauce (3 bushals worth), grape jelly, peach jam, 2 bushals of peaches as slices, lots of diffrent pickles, relishes, and I know I'm forgetting something...must make a list!

This weekend I have more to do. Dd and I picked 2 1/2 bushals of apples from are tree today. Want to do that into sauce.

Just brought in 1 and a half laundry baskets of tomatoes. I'm wanting to try salsa this time. Also brough in 3 boxes of cucumbers and 10 more large zuckinie. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet. I already have lots of relish and 300 cups of frozen shredded zucchini in the freezer!

My biggest problem is I'm running out of jars!!

Kim

Kim, wow...you have really been canning! I expanded my canning jar collection very inexpensively. I bought a bunch at a thrift store. They had boxes and boxes. I had to go through each box and make sure the jars were good and that they had the screw on lids, but there were a lot to choose from and were a lot cheaper than at the store.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think my canning season is just about over, getting very little out of the garden now. LOL This is what my sister and I have canned this year, strawberry jam and grape jelly, green beans, carrots, pickled beets and tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, tomato juice, peaches no heat salsa, and hot salsa, bread and butter pickles, dill pickles,dilly beans, banana peppers, hot peppers, peppers and oinion, hot dill pickles, spilt pea soup with ham, spilt pea soup with bacon, beef vegatable soup, cabbage soup,tomato soup, and ham and pinto beans, turkey ala king. This is the first time my sis and I have canned anything with meat in it, but because of this board you guys have really gave us the asureance that it can be done so we tried. It wasn't has hard as we thought it would be, but now that we made the tomato soup and turkey ala king I have read that you shouldn't thicken anything with flour and don't know why? both the tomato soup and turkey ala king sealed with no problems and we have opened them and have used them with no problems can anyone here tell why this is a no no. We are both pleased with them and would like to make more over the winter. But now not sure, can any one help with this?

thanks so much

alldoneandready

Archived