MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A question for the canning gurus!

Leia

Hi there,

I got a pressure canner a couple of weeks ago and have just been a canning fool ever since LOL! I am new at pressure canning, but have water bathed for 10+ years. I am still learning the ropes of pressure canning (and am having SO much fun learning!) so I will probably be picking your brains for info

So, my question is: I made goulash for dinner last night and have a pluthera left over. I would like to can it but not sure of a canning time. My ingredients are: ground beef, tomato soup, onions, and macaroni. That's the whole enchilada Anyhoo, if anyone could help me out as far as a time, I'd appreciate it!

While we are on the subject, if I have a *homemade recipe* and want to can the item(s), do I always just use the time for the longest-canning-time-ingredient as a rule of thumb for a canning time?

OK, that was two questions LOL.....I'll stop with those two but am sure I will be asking plenty more in the future!!

Thank you!!

Shawna

I made goulash ..I would like to can.. My ingredients are: ground beef, tomato soup, onions, and macaroni.

....I have a *homemade recipe* and want to can...

... the item(s), do I always just use the time for the longest-canning-time-ingredient as a rule of thumb for a canning time?

you answered your own questions!!!!

pasta doesn't can well. It ususally gets mushy and falls apart, still good to eat! usually I omitt the pastas or rice and add in when I get ready to use.

As a side note, at one point in time I too was interested in canning meals complete with pasta and all...

I did alot of research on it, and finally got a woman from the USDA who specialized in canning who shared with me that they do not recomment canning pastas and rices not only because they turn to mush but also because the makeup and density of different things like that can effect the way the heat filtrates during the canning process.

Personallly, I decided to skip trying to figure out how to make that work as I didn't want to take a chance that it could adversely affect the foods I was canning...

Just a thought to consider.

Thanks Darlene

I wondered if noodles affected the product (other than getting mushy!). I scoured the internet for info on this and really couldn't find anything. So nice to be able to come here and ask the people who have *been there, done that* !!!

Thanks again!

Shawna

Well we love sharing the things we've learned that others have taught us, so it's our pleasure to give back, that which was given to us...

Knowledge is a powerful tool that we sometimes forget yields much power.

And THAT is my philosophical statement for the month! lol

Come on over here Shawna {westbrook puts arm around Shawna),

Look girl... these ladies are loonie.. while myself on the other hand is not! keep your distance from the fruitcake! it is almost time to unwrap the fruitcake and pour more Brandy all over it! think about how good it will taste come Christmas.

You know every one has to have a resident fruitcake... and now, about that cat.... here kitty, kitty, kitty

*snicker*

Westbrook, I would be sorely disappointed if you weren't a little loonie too :D

And hey, is there a party when the fruitcake gets more brandy??? :24:

You all are alot of fun! Gotta like that!!!

Shawna

P.S. So YOU'RE the apron fanatic! I am making aprons for a craft show coming up in November. Gotta love some aprons!!!! Nothing like a good apron with some nice big pockets....

Archived