MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My husband and I always host a Christmas gathering where we have an open door policy for people to come and go anytime they want within a 5 hour time period. We usually have between 35-50 people. We usually serve easy finger foods, etc. Do you have any recipes that are proven to be well liked for parties? Healthy recipes are wanted too! I would like to make chocolate "shells" that are round and can be filled with things like chocolate mousse, etc. Does anyone know how to do that? Any "make ahead" recipes that can be frozen, etc. would be good too! I am on a budget, so I need to be careful how much I spend!

Thanks for any input you can give to me!

A all time favorite finger food for my husband's Christmas party is to take a hard salami slice, spread a touch of miracle whip on it, then roll it over cheddar cheese and a sliver of dill pickle, fasten with toothpick and wala! I make hundreds of these babies and I kid you not, every one of them are gone!!

Another favorite is ham rolls with cream cheese and green onion.

Deviled eggs are another beloved snack around these parts also.

Finger sandwiches with different spreads and variety of breads...

Just to name a few...putting my thinking cap on to come up with more!

------------------

eaglew.jpg

Here are two of mine that always disappear:

Ham Roll Ups - buy a package of good quality deli ham. Mix together a package of cream cheese and 4-5 chopped green onions. Spread some of the cream cheese mixture on the ham, roll up, and slice the ham rolls into pieces about 1 1/2" long. Put a black olive on top of each one, and fasten with a toothpick.

Another one really easy.

Buy a pound of domestic Gorgonzolla cheese, and a couple of flutes of good quality french or sourdough bread. Make a paste with the cheese, by mixing some good quality extra virgin olive oil into it. It should spread easily when properly mixed, and room temp. Thinly slice the bread and spread some of the cheese spread onto each slice of bread. Place on a cookie sheet, then broil until lightly browned. Everyone will want to know the recipe......and it's so delightful with a full bodied red wine.

Hope this helps.

How about mini quiches, or little tart shells filled with lemon curd or that raspberry pie filling that comes in a bottle (grandmothers brand i think its called....they make lemon curd too)

How about Hillshire farm brand tiny cocktail sausages wraped in cresent rolls.

Cut each triangle in 1/4...wrap a wienie) and bake till dough is golden....very tastey...get the smoked sausage not the regular baby weinie....

Scallops or dates wrapped in bacon.

I'll keep thinkin.

deb

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

[This message has been edited by debbielee (edited October 28, 2002).]

Deblyn, I too held an open house every year for 10 years, until my legs got too bad to do all the work. The last few years that I held it, on each invitation, I asked my guests to bring a plate of their favorite hor's'douvres to share. Everyone participated, and really seemed to love sharing some of their special party foods. At first I was afraid it would seem tacky, but it was a hit, and I would do it again. People love to bring something, so let them!

Debbielee's post reminded me of another easy recipe. Throw 3 lbs of those little smokeys into a crock pot, add a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, and one can of beer (the beer tenderizes the casings). Let it simmer while you do your other preps.....men love these.

Buy a brick of cream cheese, and a half pound of Bay Shrimp. Put the cheese on a plate, and pour the shrimp over the top and sides of the cheese. Pour a bottle of "Homemade" brand cocktail sauce over it and serve with crackers.

I also have a wonderful recipe for a hot crab dip that can be made ahead, and is great with sliced sourdough bread. I'll post it if you are interested....have to find my recipe.

Well what time is the open house...i usually have an easter brunch and have a ton of recipes for that time...chicken wings are always good and can be frozen in the marinade so that you can just defrost and cook..beans are also good..2 to 1 baked beans and tomato beans(ie campbells), about 1/4 cup of brown sugar a can of chunk pineapple, and sliced hotdogs in a crockpot...(sorry i don't measure ingredients)and cupcakes, and brownies can be made now and stuck in the freezer...peg

Wow, thanks for all the ideas everyone! smile.gif

Yum!!!! I think I am going to try a lot of these things this year.

Mare, I would like the recipe for the hot crab dip if you have time to put it here.

Thanks again!!!!! If you think if any others, I am still open to ideas! I want it to be a little different from previous years. Our friends and family have really been there for us this year with all that we had going on. So, it's a small way we can say thanks for their friendship!

Hot Crab Dip

1 tso white worcestershire sauce

8 oz cream cheese

2 T mayonnaise

3 oz Asiago or Parmesan cheese, grated

1/2 C grated Swiss cheese

2 T chopped shallots, or green onions

6 oz crab meat...canned ok

1/2 tsp creole seasoning (I omit this)

1 loaf baguette french or sourdough bread, sliced thin.

Mix all ingredients, except bread. Top with additional Asiago/Parmesan cheese and bake at 375 for 15-20 min. Lightly toast baguette slices. Serve dip on bread slices.

(Note) I don't even toast my bread, just put it on the table, sliced, in a basket)

Cheese Sables

(another make ahead, then bake the day of party)

1 1/4 C sifted all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

1 C shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese

1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 C butter

1 egg yolk, beaten

3 T. milk

coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Stir in cheeses until blended. With a pastry cutter cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with egg yolk and iced water; toss with a fork until misture binds together. Knead dough in bowl 8-10 strokes or until smooth. Divide dough in half. Shape each piece into a 7x1 1/4" roll. Wrap separately, refrigerate at least one hour, or up to several days.

Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut roll into 1/4" slices. Place slices, cut side down, about 1" apart on lined baking sheets. Brush tops with milk; sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake in preheated oven 10 to 12 min or until very lightly golden. Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks. Makes approx 56 pastries.

Orange Pinwheel Cookies

1 C butter, softened

3 oz cream cheese, softened

1 C sugar

1 egg

1 T fresh grated orange peel

1 tsp vanilla extract

3 1/2 C all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

Filling

1 C semisweet chocolate chips

3 oz cream cheese, softened

1/2 C confectioners sugar (I cut this to 1/4 C)

1/4 C orange juice

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar. Add egg, orange peel and vanilla. Mix well. Combine flour and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 4 hours or until firm. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients in a small saucepan. cook and stir over low heat until smooth; set aside to cool.

On a floured surface, divide dough in half; roll each half into a 12x10" rectangle. Spread with filling. Carefully roll up into a tight jelly roll and wrap in waxed paper. Chill overnight. Remove waxed paper and cut rolls into 1/4" slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 8-10 min or until very lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Makes 8 dozen.

Hi Lowlander, that's what it's called. It's basically the same flavoring, but is white for light colored recipes so it doesn't turn your dish brown. I find it next to the regular Worcestershire sauce...I'm prolly spelling that wrong. Hope that helps. smile.gif

Thanks Mare and everyone for the recipes! You have given me some wonderful recipes to try!

The Open House is usually from 1-5 p.m. We have a good friend that is now diabetic, plus many who started to eat healthier this year, so we are going to focus on some healthy foods, but of course we need to have some yummy "fattening" foods too! smile.gif

If you think of any more feel free to put them down, as I will continue to check and see if there is anything new. smile.gif

For a treat....you can make...

Low fat Chocolate Cream pie

2 pkg jello brand chocolate pudding ( 3.4 oz. cook & serve)

3 1/2 cups Skim milk

*[if you use "Hood Simply Smart" brand it doesn't taste like skim]

Cook according to "pie directions"

pour into Keebler brand "reduced fat" graham cracker pie crust.

Chill....top with Cool whip (1.5 gr total fat)

It's a great tasting treat....hard to tell it's low fat!

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg