MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Of concern to me...

Guest Guest

Two things:

First, if I do get sick and suspect the bird flu, treatment has to take place within 48 hours of the onset. The last place I want to go is a Dr. office! I hope that telephone referrals can be made.

Secondly, will there be any Dr's willing to treat patients. I read an article somewhere that many Dr's are stockpiling Tamiflu for their own families, and making ready to bug out at the first sign of the bird flu.

I think we may be largely be on our own. My little home apothecary will have to do.

DH and I are prepared to isolate ourselves as much as possible...... and depend onour own resources.

Even if they don't flee, the hospitals would be overwhelmed in 3 days. Then they send everyone else away.

Wouldn't want to be in one then.

I am going to ask a Dr. about stockpiling, if he says yes.. then I am going to sitck my hand out for a 'script! LOL!

don't we have a nurse or two here?

Is this true? what if the flu hits.. where will you be? home or work? you can PM me and I will take a poll. No names will ever be disclosed. I promise.

Westbrook, the last time I was in to see my Dr., I felt him out about Tamiflu by telling him what the President had said about a pandemic. He was totally clueless, and said he hadn't heard anything about it. Now, I don't know if he truly was clueless, or if he had been approached by others for a Tamiflu prescription. I thought we had the kind of relationship that we could ask him about the Avian Flu. I certainly will not be going in to see a Dr. if I get sick. I don't want anyone else's germs, and I don't want to infect anyone else either. I've done the best I can at home.

Yesterday, my boss said an employee wasn't going to attend staff meeting because he was sick. I don't know whose decision that was, but in my opinion, if an employee comes to work sick, he should be sent home.

Well Roche the manufacturer of Tamiflu is halting sales of the drug due to massive orders by individuals who are ordering the drug to have on hand. The worry is if people do this the drug will be in the wrong place at the wrong time and not be available to help those who are actually sick. I'm not sure how this will play out, but I know that in the event of a pandemic it might be of little use and it would be very hard to tell if it was the appropriate treatment on your own or if you just had a different bug like strep throat- thereby losing your chance to use it for the real thing. Anyhow my personal choice is to just use masks, isolate DH from the rest of the house if he has to work, keep the kids home and hope for the best!

Mare, I've wondered about that too. As far as I know, Dr's will not treat or prescribe anything over the telephone,

unless they know you very, very well. It's too big of a liability for them.

As far as isolating at home, I could do it. I don't know if my husband or children would be willing to.

I wouldn't leave DH alone if he were ill, just would keep him seperate if he had to go to work. That way he could wear a mask, and decontaminate but get to take off the mask when he was home. We have computers and telephone and as long as they worked I think we could do it. If it got to TEOTWAWKI conditions or he was ill I would take care of him. He is my DH. However I think considering my asthma reducing my possible exposure off his clothes, bedding etc would be worth the isolation. I hope it doesn't come to that though!

I called the clinic and they are in hopes to have the vaccine within the next 2 weeks for the shot clinic. But, from the sounds of it on T.V. they are saying there is no vaccine for the clinics in the cities as of yet, they had to cancel the clinics.

I know we would just stay home and hope for the best, unless it was more than the flu. Now with 5 of us instead of the 2 of us, it makes it so much easier to get the flu or colds.

I know that where DH works, people come to work if they are sick or well. I know too that I use to go to work when I was sick also. Sometimes there is no way you can not go.

They are opening up flu shots this year here to anyone and everyone on a first come, first serve basis....no critically ill first then on down...used to get the nursing homes first...not this year...its like a survival of the fittest going on with this flu shot...as for tamiflu...they arent shipping any more to the USA so if you want it, get it now before its all gone...Q

I work in a hospital too...sorry not a nurse. They started giving all employees the flu shot this week. In a couple of weeks the plan is to open flu clinics with elderly, sick, at risk patients being first to be served...

I choose not to get the shot... I seem to have a strong reaction to it every time I do get it and I get terribly sick.

Yesterday, my DH, oldest DS, and youngest DD and myself received our flu shots (at my husband's work). Our arms are a little sore at the injection site, but that's it.

Our county's Health Dept. has already given out flu shots to the high risk category, and are now giving them to the general public.

Archived