MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Snow Storms and Ice Storms

gardnmom

Snow Storms and Ice Storms

In this chapter we will address the challenges that we should be ready to meet, in these emergencies.

In a snow storm or blizzard we may get so much snow as to make the roads impassable.

Heavy wet snow can take down the power lines, when that happens, and our furnace is powered by electric, we have no heat, in some cases no way to cook, or provide light.

Secondary sources for all of these should be at hand.

Heat in the form of:

1. Wood stove and enough firewood keep you warm for 3 days to a week. More if you can manage it.

2. There are also kerosene heaters, (filled outside) or a small propane heater that will work off a 20 or 30# tank like you use on a camper.

3.Candles or kerosene lamps (filled outside)- these are not as warm as the first 2 but will keep you from freezing. Close off one room and light several candles or 2 or 3 kerosene lanterns. They give off heat as well as light and the body heat also helps keep a small area warmer.

You will need extra quilts or blankets and warm clothing.

Wear a hat as you lose most of your heat through your head.

Keep enough kerosene , propane, and candles to last for the length of time you believe you may be snowed in.

Light

1. Battery powered lamps and extra batteries and extra bulbs.

2. Kerosene or propane lamps and candles. These need to be protected from active children and pets. The kerosene lanterns should always be filled outside.

Cooking

1. If you have a gas range or a propane stove or a grill, you have a way to cook.

Do not use a grill in the house, put it on a porch that is well ventilated.

You can light your gas range burners with matches or a long butane lighter.

You can bake in the grill if it closes or use a metal dishpan or large metal roaster to cover

your biscuits or whatever you have to bake.

2. A small folding stove that is 4 to 6 inches square to place a can of sterno in.

A sterno stove can be made from a large coffee can. Using a punch can opener,

Punch several wedge shaped holes in the side of the can at the bottom, and 6 or 7 holes around the sides at the open top. At the first indented ring from the bottom, Using a nail, put 6 holes that line up for inserting 3 heavy wires, such as from a coat hanger, straight across to place the sterno on. Make sure it is sitting on something heat proof when using.

You can also put a column candle in it, to provide a little more heat

You will need:

2 gallon of water per person per day for drinking and cooking.

Food enough for your family for the number of days you are prepping.

Additional prescriptions for that number of days.

If you can flush, enough water to flush your toilet for X number of days or a pail lined with a double plastic bag with cat litter to absorb fluids.

This can be changed as often as you have bags to cover, to save on bags, have a tight fitting cover for the pail.

Baby wipes to help keep clean.

First aid supplies, such as triple antibiotics, assorted band aids, disinfectant, aspirin, Tylenol etc.

Something to help pass the time, playing cards, coloring books and crayons, books, board games and crafts.

This is a first draft.

Now is the time to make suggestions to add to this to make it more complete.

How about an emegency can filled with a sterno can , water, an emergency blanket etc. Things you can keep in your car in case of an accident during a winter storm.. Snowshoes? Where you can get them or how to make your own? Melting snow to turn into drinkable and cooking water?

Melting snow for clean up and flushing goes a long way when conserving water. Also moist air is easier to heat.

An ice storm left us powerless for over a week and ours was the only home where the dishes were done, tiolet flushed and kids had a bath. We lived in a trailer park at the time.

as for us we wear wool socks to bed, with our caps.

layer your clothing

(trying to remember what we did when we went through a winter storm)

block off some of the rooms to conserve heat.

something our DD did once when we had a winter storm. is at nights we would put a large pan of water on the wood stove, in the morning she would put it in the tub, for a bath and to dwarm the bathroom she took hot coal from the wood stove put in the ash bucket and sit in the bathroom warmed it up great. sit the ash bucket on a couple of bricks as it gets hot.

in the winter we always carry, blankets, boots, extra clothing with us.

how about driving in a blizzard... i would hope that no one would have to but there comes times when one might have to. i had to once, and that was scary.... you couldn't see beyond the headlight, and it took me over an hour to go 5 miles. this is what i did.. as if it was correct or not i don't know but i am still here.(more then likely by the grace of God) first i just creep along... slowly moved over to the right feeling for the differance from pavement to the shoulder of the road, then just kept the one wheel on the shoulder and creep on home, also had my windows down so i could hear if any other cars might be coming, pay atteion to your milage so you will know if you are close to being home, and have an idea where you are at. i would not recomend that you do this if you are not familar with your area. I should of just pulled off, and stayed put till the storm had passed but i was a young teen at the time. and wasn't smart enought to carry a BOB but i did have a quilt.

there's my two cents worth ...

Very important when traveling in snowy conditions...make sure you are on the right road. Some folks took the wrong road some years back and became hopelessly stuck. It was not a well traveled road and was shut down not too long after they drove down it. They tried to walk out for help, were not well prepared, and well...it was a less than happy ending. When in doubt, don't venture out.

Thyra, I have just read over several websites on snow storm driving, and I would say that you did as you should. They only suggest what you should have if you get stuck in your car. Most seem to feel you are in more danger if you are stuck in your car. Drivng more slowly using what ever method helps you stay on the road is advised.

Just thought you would like to know that.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Quote:
Does anyone have something to add to this chapter?

A two, or four, person pop-up tent (one that you just take out of its case; has a floor attached and doesn't need in-ground tent poles).
We went through an ice storm a few years back. Instead of trying to heat the living room, a can of sterno lit inside the closed tent provided warmth in a few minutes that lasted for several hours. **typical note of caution: good ventilation and don't knock over the sterno can**

Always, always have an emergency candle(s), lighter/matches and extra winter clothing in your car when travelling in Winter conditions. I've experience similar to Linda, you just never know.

In the winter we have wool sweaters, gloves, touques, socks and blankets on hand and of course winter boots on hand -40 temps.

We have had nights where we have all slept in one room (where the wood stove is) of course. Lots of body heat and lots of hot choc/tea to drink.

In the past couple years our winters are getting warmer not as cold as a few years back.

Archived