MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Keeping air moist in winter can be good for respiratory ailments

I was told by my doctor that keeping humidity above 40% is really important in helping me avoid complications with colds, bronchitis or flu. He said the moisture in the air helps the mucous membranes do their job better. He's recommending I use a humidifier and a steam mister. I think vaporizers help most everyone when they're suffering from respiratory ailments.

So I started thinking about my cookstove and how the dry heat tends to dry the air out in the room. Obviously, while the grid is up and running I can use my electric humidifier just fine. But what happens if a storm knocks electricity out for a week or so and I've got a respiratory infection? Can anyone here think of ways to humidify the air without using an electrically powered humidifier most of the time?

The only way I know of is this, but it would require sleeping near the stove:

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/...iProductID=5428

I keep a pan of water on my wood stove all winter, to keep the humidity up. If you catch cold place a bowl or pan of hot water on the table and place a towel over your head to trap the moist air and breathe the mist from it several times a day. You can also use a bottled nasal saline solution, just spray up your nose several times a day.

I'm getting a cast iron pot for keeping water on our wood stove top for the winter.

Lois is right. If you get really sick and congested, put a pot of boiling water on the table in front of you, then hold a towel over your head and the pot. It really helps loosen the gunk in your lungs. It's great for the complexion too!

One year when 2 of the kids were still at home I caught a bad cold in late Feb. we were doing Maple syrup, I was so sick and the syrup had to be boiled, so the kids gathered the rest of sap, while I sat in the little shed that we used for that just adding the sap to the pans as they cooked down, by the time I finished that evening, I was no longer stuffed up, I could breathe again. It sure cured that cold in a hurry.

ROFLOL I used to get "dosed" with a steam facial all the time by my mom as a teen to clear up my complexion. She would put a bunch of boxed herbs, can't recall the name except it's a laxative in the water and I'd have to go under the steam tent. Boy was that hot and made me cough ( asthma anyone LOL) but it did help my skin!

We had a wood stove in 2 places I lived and we would leave a big pot of water on it to add moisture to the air. Worked like a charm!

Archived