MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Race Against the Killer Flu

Guest Guest

Race Against the Killer Flu

Sunday at 9 eastern on the National Geographic Channel

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/

Join virus hunters and epidemiologists on a global quest for the H5N1 Bird Flu. The stakes are high as experts look to pandemics of the past to predict what could happen in the future. See what scientists and governments are doing to prevent a major outbreak.

Watch a clip from Race Against the Killer Flu and peer into the world of virus hunters and epidemiologists. Find out what tools the world's scientists are hoping will turn the tide against the potentially devastating H5N1 virus.

Interesting that both channels showed different snippets of information from the same interviews.

After watching both National Geographic which was ok, and then CNN's report (which was a little better) on the Avian Flu, most of it was what we have already talked about here (Mrs. S. is on the leading edge of the news!) But what I was shocked about was when an expert said 'society will break down to its most simple form, the family, and we need to prepare for at least 3 months'. (yes we know this but it was awe some for them to say it! and again Mrs. S. is on top of things!) Of course they talked about the first wave being bad but the second wave would be worse and lessening in the 3rd wave.

This was the first time on a national channel I have heard them talk about stocking up for more then 2 weeks. Finally someone is talking! briefly but still National Television!

I watched last night. It was allright, but I think they still didn't get the message across fully, question is why?

Not what I expected. I'm certainly not "frightened, or losing sleep over this. Just seems that everytime CNN made some headway in trying to get their point across they would minimize it in the next sentence or so. Any one else find this to be? It seemed like they were trying to say something....but were really not allowed to say it. Know what I mean?

I don't think alot of people will take this situation too seriously. I was surprised when Osterholm said he was stockpiling food and had a bug out plan. When it was said to stockpile food for 3 months that was surprising.

Just my two cents.

They said to stockpile for 3 months, but stopped short of telling people they really need to be ready for the 12-18 months it would take for a pandemic to run it's course!! I was glad to see a national news leader at least talking about preparing like it was a smart thing to do instead of painting us as nuts! Baby steps

Archived