MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

sick baby remedies

Kygal

what can i do for my sick 8 month old? her temp is only slightly high, 38 degrees, and i have been calling her "bubbles" due to the bubbles of boogers with almost every exhale. i gave her tylenol, but she puked that up right away.

with my first, anytime she was sick we went straight to the dr right away. i have since learned that most drs dont know what they are doing. ie: they assume it is what everyone else has, and prescribe you something with out trying natural remedies first.

also, anything i can do for teething?

Pixie, I don't know how that relates to our temp in F. If it is only slightly elevated it may just be because she is teething. What I did with my children when they were teething was to keep something in the freezer that they could chew on, they have the water or liquid rings for babies for that here. The frozen ring numbs thier gums and they feel better for a while.

i do have teething rings for her, and they only keep her occupied untill she looses intrest and then she is crying again. but now that is is daytime, she is not crying. i am more worried about her temp and puking and runny nose. she is resting now. she just woke up and she is laying iin her playpen snotting up her balnkets. lol she is somewhat less active today then usual, but not so much less to cause major concern. i just hope she sleeps better tonight. her eyes are all dark around them, and she is always rubbing them.

i gave her a nice warm bath and her fever is gone, i hope it does not come back.

When my little ones had runny noses, I put a few drops of euclyptus oil on a cloth and hung it above the bed (just out of reach of hands!) this really improved their breathing. But if the mucus is green then there is usually an infection and Dr is needed. Yellow mucus will usually be more a nuisance than an infection.

I generally watched a fever, and gave panadol, but with vomiting as well, you need to be aware of dehydration as babies can dehydrate alot quicker than an adult. (But this is probably more of an issue in summer)

Hope this helps

Sue

Pixie if she has thrown up more than once, call a dr and get some advice fom him, Is she drinking water?

Does she have loose bowels?

All these things are important if they are all happening, call your DR.

she only threw up once and her snot is yellow and she does drink water sometimes. my mom in law get her apple juice. she had a bit of diarea so we will see how that goes. she eats more and still loves to play, so i am cutting down her solids and giving her more formula.

Well she also could have puked to get the snot out of her stomach from post nasal drainage- I know gross, but sometimes babies will do that. Since she has diareah I'd give her electrolyte solution like Pedialyte- or whatever they call it in Canada, your pharmacist would know. It's really easy for babies to get dehydrated so if she is still having a runny stool I'd get her to the Dr just in case. Most likely it's just a little virus and nothing to worry about

that could be why she puked. i think she may have puked because i surprised her with the medicine. as soon as it went down, it came back up again. , we do have pediolite in canada, but gatorade is the same thing and it is far cheaper. pedialite is 10 bux a bottle, and the bottles are not very big. so, the 5 dollar bottle of gatorade is on the shopping list. i can make little popsicles for her too, and she can sit in her highchair and slurp them up. also good for teething. (that was my moms suggestion

i have both kinds of bulb/sucker thingys. the blue one is too strong for babies(it gave morri a small nose bleed i felt horrible!!) and i have the ear one too i like it far better. pat made morri an appointment for the dr, and she said that morri seems on the road to recovery, and that i am doing the right thing for her.

I am so glad Morri is improving. When my babies were snuffly and couldn't sleep. I used to put a couple of boards under the legs of the head end of the cot. By raising the head end of the bed about an inch and a half they sleep better. My hubby once tried to sleep with a snuffly baby on his chest - he never did it again though, she lifeted her head, coughed and then chucked up all over his face, up his nose, everywhere!

So glad it wasn't me! I didn't even need to clean the sheets, he wore the lot! Ahh memories ....

Sue

There are homeopathic teething drops and small quick disolving pills that I gave to my son. They seemed to help some, also there are the same type of homeopathic pills for runny noses and colds that I still give my son at age 3 it is call PULSATILLA, I like the hyland brand best, it is an old proven company. These taste sweet and usually there isnt too much of a problem getting them down. As for the snots...well I use a product called VETRX for poultry on my son. It has all nautral ingredients mostly corn oil base with balsam of peru and oregano oil etc... I was telling the poultry supply lady that I used it on my son from the time he was new born and she told me that originally the product was called "Save the baby" and sold as a rub to help with head and chest colds in the 1800's. it is mild and I usually just rub a few drops on his chest several times a day as needed. (vetrx works good on poulty too!) You can get it at vet supply stores, or by mail order as well. The teething drops/pills usually contain camomille in them and it seems to help calm them and helps them get some sleep too. Ask for them at your health food store, and sometimes you can find them at the pharmacy. If all else fails, there is a very mild menthol baby bath you can buy, (as well as a lavendar camomille one too) that helps them breath better . Just put some in a warm bath and let them soak awhile. I get that at walmart. Johnson & Johnson makes it but the walmart brand is much cheaper! These things arent a cure all but they sure did seem to help us out. Good Luck! AM.

what if i just put a few camomile tea bags under the tap for her bath, or give her camomile tea? of all those remedies that is the only one i could do because i just spend all my money at the grocery store yesterday. ok, not ALL of it, i still have 7 cents left. lol i have to wait untill child tax for anything else.

the main thing i am concerned about now is her cough and sore throat, this morning she was coughing horribly, and crying everytime it hurt her. also her voice is all wierd sounding. heh heh its kinda cute. :P

i dont suppose you would know off hand if vetrx was availible in canada?

I suppose any camomile will be better than none...I'd be leary of the sore throat and cough though...I would have to break down and have that looked at just in case... that is why little babies scare the stuffin out of me!!! they are just too little to tell you what is wrong!!! Put a vaporizer in her room too, that will help keep the snot stuff thinned out some. Seems like murphy's law really hits you with the kids... when you think its not to bad it probably is...and when you think its bad its not... hard to win isnt it...sigh.. I have decided that is why people sleep so much when they get to be around 80 yrs old...they are just catching up from when they had young kids!!! Im sure you can get vetrx in Canada someplace, check poultry supply places and or go to bird/chicken swaps if you can, someone usually sells it there too. When my guys get the sore throat I usually get out the tylenol... anything to keep him drinking, also I start to suspect his ears and have the doctor check those out, (usually happens with my boy that way) I also forgot to tell you that johnson and johnson makes like infant vicks cream to put on their chests, its very mild, that doesnt help near as much as the vetrx though. I just hate when the wee ones are sick, I think it would be easier on me for me to be the one sick instead... try the camomile tea and maybe sweeten it a little and see if you can get her to take a little of it.(I wouldnt give more than an eye dropper full at one time though), then wait 15-20 minutes before I gave a little more if she is still fussy...if not- dont give any more....

Next time you get a little cash, spring for the teething drops though, they are worth having.

you know, i went to get the camomile tea out because i wanted some...and it turns out i am all out! some prepper i am ...lol i thought i had bought some, but i guess that was one of the few things i had to leave because i went a little over budget. (its so easy to do that when buying bulk...lol) poor morrigan is loosing her voice a bit. it's sooo sad and sooo cute at the same time. he cough has a little squeak to it even, and so we got out the cam-corder and taped her sick voice and sounds. heh heh i have her sleeping on my big huge (fake) fur coat and a big pillow so that he head and shoulders are elevated, and she seems ok wiht that. she does not seem able to sleep for much longer than an hour or 2 at night, last night was the worst from what i hear she only slept for 15 minutes at a time. poor baby!

i will have to ask my mom in law if she has camomile tea i can have. pat does not get paid untill friday.

Pixie, why not tell us what you do have on hand for teas or herbs and/or even kitchen spices. Maybe we could come up with something that you could give her to help.

Just be sure to watch her closely with that sore throat. Strep would be nothing to goof around with. Steam is a good idea though and if you don't have a vaporizer you can always take her into the bathroom and run the hot water in the shower or tub or even in a sink and just set in there for about fifteen minutes with her every couple of hours. Or even put a pan of water on the stove and let it simmer. Any steam or moisture in the air will help keep the mucus loose. If she gets really congested and can't beathe, bundle her all up and just step outside the door for one or two minutes, making sure she doesn't get chilled. That gives her extra oxygen and will often open those passages up temporarily at least and give her a break.

It's so hard when babies are sick and fretfull. I sure remember those days.

morrigan is sooo much better today. she slept well last night becasue i raised the head of her bed, and gave her a pillow, so now she does not have dark circles around her eyes, and she is all smiles. well, snot and smiles. lol still snotty, and coughing a phlegmmy cough, then she sits there and chews her phlegm! eww!! lol

as for spices i have one of those spice racks that came with a bunch of spices i never use. so i have been slowly replacing them with one i do use. such as ginger, and garlic(i usually use fresh, but it is good to have powder on hand for when you run out) oregano, bay, paprika, cinnamon, gee, i cant even think of them all off hand. teas i have raspberry leaf, cranberry, lemon, peppermint, red rose, sleepy time, wild berry, i think there is more but i am not going to go look right now.

You actually have a couple of things there you could use if need be.

The sleepy time tea would have chamomile in it I believe and would help her rest. You could use the peppermint in some simmering water as an inhalant to loosen up the phlegm. Cinnamon can be used as an inhalant too but it's too strong for her to drink it.

I'm glad to hear that she's doing better though. Congradulations on your good job.

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful using Gatorade instead of an electrolyte sloution. It contains alot of sugar. I know Walmart makes a very acceptable generic to pedialyte. Also, you can make a very simple homemade soltion, doesn't have the great taste, but it's way cheaper

Preparing a 1 (one) litre oral rehydration solution [ORS] using Salt, Sugar and Water at Home

Mix an oral rehydration solution using one of the following recipes; depending on ingredients and container availability:

Ingredients:

one level teaspoon of salt

eight level teaspoons of sugar

one litre of clean drinking or boiled water and then cooled

5 cupfuls (each cup about 200 ml.)

Stir the mixture till the salt and sugar dissolve.

Archived