MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What do you see?

Guest Guest

While walking today I saw a pasture full of Canada geese right along with the cattle and llamas, a hawk circling over, a blue heron in the creek, 2 black puppies playing in a neighbors pasture and 2 yukky snakes. There was also a farmer combining beans with tractors and wagons sitting there waiting to hold the grain. I stopped at my mil's and picked an apple off her tree to eat on my journey and it was just such a pleasant walk.

I love seeing whatever there is to see each day. It makes want to know what others of you see in your special little corner of the world.

------------------

dee.jpg

See the ocean..short blast down the highway and into "cranberry country" always foggy in the A.M! Geese are flying south..Winter is coming! During the day, truck after truck of cranberries arrive..it is harvest season here..winter is coming. The leaves are starting to turn pretty shades of color..winter around the corner! Peggy canning all kinds of fruit at night..for those cold nights! Catching blue shell crabs while they "fatten up" for cold weather here!...Nature tells me we are going to have a "New England" winter!

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Fat acorns underfoot, and touches of gold on the trees smile.gif The sunset tonight was a beautiful hot pink! We went on a "date" to the park tonight and Nicholas laughed and laughed while Daddy was pushing him in the swing. Nothing cuter than that first tooth grin smile.gif

The other day I spotted a beautiful doe playing in the middle of the road at the county park. smile.gif

------------------

becca.jpg

<

Wanna trade?>>

Oh, my, DebbieLee! Well, my son was just laughing at me yesterday cuz I said if I didn't like living in the country most, I'd like Manhatten second But strangely enough, like the t-shirts say, I really do love New York. Cities do have some advantages over country...crime is not one of them, of course, but I do like the different kinds of people you meet in them....different nationalities and great restaurants. And symphony orchestras! When we first moved to this area, we lived in town but even so, I hated it that it was so WASP-y here...meaning white anglo-saxon Protestant. I preferred that my sons be around people of other races and cultures sometimes because I remember my cousins, who grew up in a similar area, were actually afraid of all blacks and Hispanics! They weren't hateful; just had never met any and had watched too much tv. Then, when I moved here, I remember going to the mall and seeing an African American and thinking, "WOw, an African American!" That is how rare it was. The closest thing to a cross-racial or multicultural experience we had here was the german Amish community that lives near where we are now! But now the nearest place with a good population has become a bit more multicultural and for the most part, I think that is a good thing.

Looking out the window, of my living room, I see the yellow leaves from my maple tree sailing to the ground like graceful feathers, a gray squirrel sits on top of my trash can husking the green shell off of a Black Walnut. Pandora, the neighbors Black Lab, is playing in their front yard.

Looking out the window of my bedroom I watch the river slowly meandering west, canadian geese swimming up stream to their nesting area. Here in NJ they don't migrate south anymore, they are here all year long. The leaves of the poison oak are turn bright with the autum colors. Yes, Ed winter is comming!

Okay here's mine. I woke up to the city working on our street at 5:45 on a thursday morning, jack hammer and all what a noise.

When I went to start up my car in the garage standing on the driveway looking at me were a mother raccoon and two babies. They usually come from the cow field across the road at night into our back yard and then go home before it gets light. That morning the road crews started before light and the racoons didn't know what to do. It was quite a site while the flag lady and I stopped traffic to let the coons go across the street. At first only one of the babies ran out and got to the other side. The mother and other baby did cross so the baby stood on the other side making a horrible racket while the mother talked back to it on our side. Finally the baby made it back, the mother gathered the babies, we stopped the cars (there weren't a lot of them) and over went mom and baby to safety.

When they made it safely the crossing people, my two kids and I cheered and clapped this was all before 7 in the morning.

When my son, almost 15, almost 6 feet tall, 160 pounds, came home from school, he said he told everyone at school about it and how great it was that we saved the raccoons.

that made my day.

grin.gif

------------------

brigid.gif

I see the golden and crimson leaves falling in my backyard. The small adventurous brothers from down the mountain are out exploring the woods today and I watch them with their make shift tree branch fishing poles, bib jeans, bare feet with their shoes hanging over their little shoulders, walking on the path toward the spring thats on our land. They see me watching them from my window and they smile and wave. The spring comes out into a little stream thats on the backwood here. With the drought conditions we have had its just about all dried up except for the trickle of fresh spring water coming out of the ground. Of course I worry about the brothers but I tell myself they have been up to the spring millions of times and they know how to call for help if its needed. Other than that Its a Norman Rockwellian Day here on the mountain. I have the pagentry of the changing colors of the Autumn Leaves bursting forth from their summer attire, my puppy is playing in the field with his poppie, the kitten has snuggled close using my foot as his pillow while his purring motor runs on full speed, loudly. Pumpkin Bread is baking in the over and I am sitting here typing looking out the window at this glorious Fall day. The back door is open and I can smell leaves burning. The adventurers dad must be raking his yard and burning yard waste. Its not a waste to me. Burning leaves is one of the most homey scents of the fall season. I hope you all enjoy your day and I will savor every minute of mine.

Where I live, it is has been so neat to observe in the past two years. The animals used to live with the cycles. Then because of the pesticides, the animals were almost all gone and so were the fish in Lake Erie. In the past two years, the animals are returning like crazy. The fish too. But what is even cooler is that with all the new building going on in the country (which drives me NUTS!), the animals are not going away. They're adapting to the new subdivisions and living there! The dear, the geese, the fox, the coyote, and today I saw a pheasant run across the street to the high school... during the CITY WIDE GARAGE SALE! What a stitch! But it is neat to see the animals living right along with us.

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg

I'm amazed I opened this up for the first time, after reflecting this morning on nature's beauty all around me.

I can see sunshine sparkling off the tree leaves while they sway in a gentle breeze - every shade of green with a touch of yellow here and there, and it's so beautiful to see. If I look REALLY hard, I can spot a touch of orange here and there, but it won't be long before I see a lot more.

The sun is glistening off the pond and mama deer and her two babies have already been here grazing in our fields. We have two Canadian Geese that fly over our house every evening. The wild turkeys haven't been around the last few weeks.

Our home sits down in a valley with forrest surrounding us. I'm so thankful for the beauty here.

Time to head out to my apple trees and get some to start processing before the day flies by.

------------------

shepherd.gif

I forgot to say earlier... that at my daughter's university. it's so neat. It's built on the property of one of the Dodge mansions. The deer and the geese are so prevalent. You can walk right up to them or they'll walk right up to you. Now THAT'S a neat thing to see.

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg

On a Sidenote to Lady T.....

Just wanted to say....i think your a cool lady! It's a great thing your trying to teach your kids.

We have so many different cultures here in my neighborhood...it's kindof neat.

My upstairs neighbors are from Ghana, Africa....They are the nicest,hardest working people i think i've ever met....the Mom works 2 and 3 jobs to help send her son to Harvard college...he just started...i couldn't be prouder if he was my nephew!

Next door....the family that owns that 3 decker is from Haiti.....wonderful,loving people.....i could go on and on.....

I'm just really glad i've had this chance to get to know so many cultures....hear (and learn a few words) of different languages...try different foods.....

It is a "good thing". (i could do without the handcuffs though).

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcq4dr9AXqlYY9DM

From my kitchen window I can see my lovely garden, up to the chicken enclosure at the top, with manic chickens and daft ducks happily getting on with what they do. Beyond that, a ploughed field, then the dairy cows, then the woods, with owls foxes badgers and deer. Lots of buzzards about just now, too. To the side of us is the dairy farm, dating back to the 1600's; the buildings are mellow brick, with tiled roofs. Out the front windows, I see a picture that hasn't changed much in hundreds of years. Directly opposite is the pub, dating back to the 1500's, and the church a little further up, slightly earlier in date. Then there is the village green, and a row of thatched cottages. The village is quintessentially English. The leaves are just starting to turn, and the conkers to fall, autumn veg from the garde, beginning to think about the first frost. have to take a torch when I go up the village at night for all my meetings, now. The evenings are cool and still, with lovely golden harvest moons at the moment. We regularly see several hot air balloon drifting lazily by in an evening; it must be pretty spectacular from up there. Starting to watch out for the best holly trees to pick a little from for Christmas. Birds lining up on the wires before their journeys to Africa for the winter - they'll all be gone soon. A wonderful time of year, when mother nature is at her best.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by MountainMommy:

I see our Canada Geese flying south... (take good care of them for us, and send them home as soon as possible, please). I see towering mountains, and a sky so blue it almost hurts to look at it. I see deer bounding across the grass, on their way back into the forest for the day. I see towering Lodge Pole Pines and pretty mountain ash, their leaves just thinking about putting on their fall coats. I see children racing to school, thinking about the coming winter.... snowboarding, skiing, snowmobiling and sledding.... Soon it will be time to strap on the skates, and play at being a famous Canadian hockey player.... perhaps Wayne or Mario or even Guy or the Rocket.... I see neighbours harvesting their gardens. I smell BBQ's as people defy the coming winter. A few of them will brave cold temperatures to BBQ all year long. I smell clean, crisp air. There's no pollution here at all.

I see the boreal forest from my back door, stretching up the sides and around the mountains, I see rock high above, and know that soon, I will see snow-covered peaks.

I know if I'm quiet, I may see a mountain lion, or perhaps a grizzly bear, fattening itself on ripe berries before its long winter sleep.

I see boxes left to unpack.....

*MM looks at the boxes.... looks at the mountains....*

The boxes will still be here tomorrow....
smile.gif

Okay....okay....you've done more than convinced me!!!! I am gonna get there!!!! Soon. In fact, I was gonna surprise you, by coming down this weekend, but guess what?!!? That snow that you asked for, it finally happened...here....It's all white outside my window. The flakes are as big as toonies, maybe bigger. It looks peaceful and clean right now. The kids are rolling snowballs into huge snowmen. It's wet sticky snow, the best kind for snowmen and snowball fights.

Hey sis.........remember those forts we used to build on 49th, and then the ensuing snowball fights?!!?!?

Funny how a big flake of white stuff, can conjure up a long forgotten memory. grin.gif

Love ya, sis!!!! Miss ya lots too!!!!! frown.gif

We won't be surprising you for Thanksgiving this weekend as I planned, frown.gif but we will get there soon, THAT I promise. Sooner than you may think. wink.gif

Even Alex has asked about the high schools there. Call me would ya!!!! I need to chat.

spitfire.jpg

[This message has been edited by Spitfire (edited October 10, 2002).]

Cooler weather is finally here to stay in the Ozarks, I think. The trees on my land are still mostly green but it seems like every morning, there is more brown. Usually, it turns really fast once it starts. The leaves are not as pretty this year as other years, due to the dry weather, I guess. Not too many beautiful colors, just brown. But even the brown has a beauty. I think the acorns are about finished dropping...good thing, lol....I came out my door the other day and got conked on the head by one! Autumn usually makes the deer and wild turkeys come out more....nice to see them out my kitchen window across the ravine but I didn't like 'em when they get into my garden earlier!

At that age EVERYTHING was BIGGER than you!!! LOL

LisaWeesaAteAPizza!!!!!!!!!

* Spitfire slowly and methodically rolls some snow into a ball, packing it firmly. She winds up and...... *

"Bop!!!! Na na na na na na........"

------------------

spitfire.jpg

[This message has been edited by Spitfire (edited October 13, 2002).]

* Smack!!! Spit gives MM a "special" kinda kiss, a round of snowballs right in the ol kisser!!!

"Pthst!!!!!!!"

* Spitfire sticks her tongue out at MM *

" Here try missing this!!!! "

* As she fires off a few more rounds, of her premade snowballs, that she has been saving, for an occassion just like this. *

" Haha tongue.gif gotcha that time......!!!!!!"

* MM looks like a great big snowperson. grin.gif She shakes off all the snow, looking somewhat like a bear shaking the water off, after a dip in a river. Spit realizes she better disappear fast. She slips quickly through the Sunporch, causing confusion in her wake, as she disturbs both Cat & Darlene's sleep, on the way. Zipppppppppppppppppppppp Zooooooooooooooom *

"And away we go............I wonder what other trouble I can stir up?!?!!?"

spitzfire.jpg

[This message has been edited by Spitfire (edited October 14, 2002).]

LOL MM and Spitfire!!! smile.gif You two girls behave yourselves before I tell mom!!!! smile.gif

I am looking out my window and I see the new housing tract that they built this year. Prior to that we had a beautiful view of the mountains, a huge field across from us that was 3 blocks wide and even deeper than that. Now....I see lots of cars driving by my house.

Okay, let's look closer to home...the roses are beautiful in my yard. They are still blooming. Matter of fact, one of the rose bushes I planted in memory of my mom just bloomed for the first time a few days ago with the most beautiful red rose. The grass is green and so soft to walk barefoot on. The broccoli plants are growing strong....I just love my little piece of property that I can enjoy! It's not quite all the beauty where you all live....but I need to be content with what God has given me. I am blessed!