MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

R ~Today's Canning...

Guest Guest

Well I haven't actually canned this stuff yet, cause it's still baking and simmering but I'm excited to see how much I end up getting outta it once it's ready to process...

Butttttttttttttttttt...I have 14lbs of beef bones that I roasted in a 20qt stockpot with carrots, celery, peppercorns, fresh parsley, onions and garlic simmering right now that I'll strain and can as beef broth...

I have 6lbs of dried beans that I cooked and made a sauce in another 20qt stockpot, now in the oven making baked beans that I'll can tomorrow too, so I'm excited to see how much that will translate into as far as pints go...

So for now, I'm just filliing up the house with wonderful aromas that will translate into meals in the future, and I know I'll be so glad I took the time to do it when that happens.

Ok here's the end result...

Beef broth is strained but am gonna refrigerate that over night so i can get all the fat off easily tomorrow...

Andddddddddddddddddd...

Outta my baked beans I made I got 28 pints and they are AWESOME!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

OK Darlene, you know I would request the recipe.... Please share with us, I would love to have a great baked bean recipe, and perhaps the inspiration to get that canner going again!!!!!!!

I do have on my list to can some roast I recently bought and have not canned yet, along with some chicken breast I got for .99 lb.... and is in the freezer!

Ok moonstar, here ya go...

Darlene's Baked Beans

2lbs navy beans

1/2lb salt pork cut into pieces

3 onions sliced (I cut onions in half, then sliced in 1" or so strips that were about 1/4" wide)

2/3c molasses

1 1/3c ketchup

1T dry mustard

2t salt

1/2c brown sugar

Either soak beans 12-18 hours or put beans in a pot, cover with 3 quarts of water, bring to a boil for 2 minutes, cover and let sit in hot water for an hour. Drain water, replenish with 3 quarts of water, bring to boil again, saving water to use in sauce.

Put beans into a baking dish, add above ingredients and about 4 cups of reserved bean liquid, and mix well. Put covered beans in 350 degree oven for about 4-5 hours. (what I did was put them in the oven at night at 350 for about 2 hours, then turned it down to 150-170 degrees and let it stay in there overnight cause i was too tired lol) Add reserve bean liquid (if there is any left) or water, as needed (check every hour)...beans should be soupy.

Pack hot beans into pint or quart jars, leaving 1" headspace, remove air bubbles, put seal and ring on and process pints for 1 hour 20 minutes, quarts 1 hour 35 minutes in pressure canner at 10lbs pressure.

I hope this all makes sense...I'm just used to looking at amounts, throwing it together and doing my thang lol...

On my counter, cooling right now, are 7 quarts of my Super Awesome Kick A** Cold / Flu Cure chicken broth! There was about 3 quarts left so I made chicken noodle soup for dinner...

I've been making this soup for more than 25 years and this is the best batch ever!

It's dang hard to do but, i actually impressed myself!

My family is real happy right now!

Nana

Okay... I don't really write out my recipes very much but I'll give it a shot!

For the broth;

1 or more whole chickens

for every chicken you need -

1 large or 2 small onions quartered is fine

2 large carrots peeled and cut in chunks

3 stalks of celery cut in chunks

6 cloves of garlic peeled and cut in half

2 teaspoons peppercorns

2 tablespoons crushed red pepper

3 bay leaves

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons sea salt

1 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon nutmeg or 1/2 fresh grated nut (nutmeg- nut!)

Edited to add the last 2 spices; Dangit! I knew I'd forget something!

Thoroughly rinse chicken inside and out, and remove extra fat. Put everything in a big stock pot and cover chicken with cold water. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer. Cook until chicken pulls away from bones easily. Remove chicken. Strain broth, cool, skim fat.

To make the soup, remove from bones and chop the chicken into bite size pieces, add to broth and heat. Adjust seasonings with garlic powder, onion powder, and Tabasco sauce. It should 'bite' your tongue but not cause you to faint!

Bring to a gentle boil and add egg noodles. This soup should be thick with chicken and noodles, almost a stew. Serve hot with saltine crackers or garlic bread.

Now... if that seems to be a lot of spice, that's the idea! The more garlic, onion and red pepper you have in it, the better it will make you feel. Trust me on this. I've brought people back from the brink of death with this soup! I'm only half kidding!

If you make it, make it exactly this way- if you change anything it won't be my Kick-As* Cure All soup!

Then I'll have to hunt you down... NOT kidding!

Enjoy!

Oh yeah! If you've got dogs, save all the scraps and bones, can them and save to grind for emergency meals. Add cooked rice, wheat or oats. I got this idea from Westbrook, (I think) and I canned 6 quarts for my dog. When the chicken bones are canned, they get very soft and will grind easily. I'm just going to run mine through my meat grinder with the large blade.

Archived