MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Today's Canning - 1/20/06

Guest Guest

Welllllllllllllll, let's see...

Today I took 20lbs of hamburger and made homemade sloppy joes from scratch...this was the first time I had ever done it and I kinda tweaked the recipe (like i usually do lol) and it came out AWESOME! It ended up making 28 pints of canned complete sloppy joes and I'm sitting here listening to the *ping ping ping* yessssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

lol

I have 10 quarts of deboned and cubed chicken breast in the canner now, and I have 2-20qt stockpots full of the bones and skins and veggies that I'm gonna turn into chicken broth to can....

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...not only am I on a roll buttttttttttttt...

I'M OTTA CONTROL!

rofl

(((((ma))))) I'm so excited for you getting a canner!

I deboned the chicken breasts and cubed them and put them in cold and into the sterialized quarts...I had a pot of boiling water going on the stove that I poured over them, then I put in a teaspoon of salt, sealed them up and processed them...you can also pour broth over the raw chicken. If you debone the chicken, process pints 1 hours 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour 30 minutes at 10lbs pressure. For chicken that has not been deboned, process pints 1 hour and 5 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10lbs pressure in pressure canner.

If you do a hot back, you can boil, steam or bake the chicken util about 2/3 done and seperate at joints. You can either leave bones in or debone. Pack meat into hot jars, leaving 1" headspace, ladeling either hot water or broth over the meat, and removing air bubbles. Put on caps, and process deboned meats in pints for 1 hour 15 minutes, and quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes at 10lbs pressure. For chicken with the bone still in, process pints 1 hour 5 minutes, and quarts 1 hour 15 minutes at 10lbs pressure in your canner.

To me, the processing times are about the same whether the chicken is raw or cooked...I tend to do the raw so that when I go to use it in my cooking, it's not pre-flavored and I can turn it into stews or pot pies or mexican dishes, or or or...the list is endless.

Good luck with your canning...we're always here to share our experiences if you ever have any questions!

It's 7am here right now and I gotta run my youngest daughter to school and I'm already thinking about what I'm gonna can today. I think I'll can the chicken broth I made with the bones and skin I removed from the breasts yesterday and I have a 23lb piece of beef that I wanna cube and can today also...and then there's always tanning...I'm working on my tan so that'll take a couple of hours this morning too!

I don't know the sound of *ping ping ping*

And my plans to buy a pressure canner have been thwarted . First DH said when our trailer is paid off (April) then we'll have more $ since we won't be making that payment, and he'll buy me one then, so I can spend my income tax $ on something more crafty so I can make more stuff to sell...Then my mom said she has a pressure canner and when she gets here from Oklahoma, she'll give it to me! (does that mean I'll get 2? LOL)

Archived