MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

LR ~Ongoing canning...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I've still been canning, just not the super duper batches I get obsessed with...I guess the 200lbs of strawberries kinda burned me out...lol

Today I made some of the cuban chicken soup and will finish canning that tomorrow...it never ceases to amaze me how I can make the same recipe twice, with the exact same measurements, and have one come out tasting good, and one come out tasting absolutely AWESOME!

Anyway, I need an idea on what to create tomorrow...I'm in the mood to do something creative that I've never canned before, but I'm not feeling creative lol (maybe I should just twirl my hair lol)...

I have every kind of meat imaginable and just about everything else I'd need, so does anyone have any ideas? I've done sloppy joes, chili, baked beans, chicken soups, bean soups, pea soups, ham, chicken, beef, jams, fruits, veggies, chowders, broths, marinaras, cacciatores, pickles, salsas and probably a few that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I wanna chart uncharted waters...I wanna try canning something I've never canned before...I wanna feel that thrilling feeling of conquering the unconquerable...

(yes, I know I'm over the edge and outta control but that isn't the issue right now...rofl...)

hmmmmmmmmmmm...what can I try next...

Guest Guest

How 'bout...

beef barley & mushroom soup

pasta e fagioli -leave the pasta out of course

minestrone- again w/o the pasta

corned beef

pork in bbq sauce

hash

mincemeat

sweet potatoes

asparagus

chunky salad fruit

spiced bananas

tropical fruit salad

ginger spiced peaches

peach butter

apple butter

silky pear butter

tomato-pineapple preserves

kiwi preserves

spiced apple rings

piccalilli

I have a few more and I also have most of the recipes. Let me know if you want me to post any in particular.

;)

Guest Guest

I ended up not canning (...I made fried chicken, caesar salad and an italian pasta with garlic, broccoli and cauliflower instead...

Oh well, there's always tomorrowwwwwwwwwwwww...

Guest Guest

You go girl!

I spent yesterday reorganizing my canned goods into my cabinets...I had more of some things than I realized lol (yes, i already knew I had tons of strawberry jam lol)...

The way that grocery prices continue to go up, I'd rather preserve alot of these things NOW (bird flu or not) and be able to use them in the future to help conserve monies in the long term.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

It certainly is a guideline to at least establish a dating system.

Perhaps we need to capture this information. Great site, used to be a very active place then sort of fell off when they had to move in 2000.

Guest Guest

Nana - where did you find spiced Apple rings? We love them but can only find them (in Sedro Woolley) at the holidays and unfortunately I didn't realize that til we were out and I went to replenish the supply. Do you can your own? Have a recipe? Would love to know and thanks in advance.

Guest Guest

Pansy, I have a canning book that has the spiced apple rings recipe listed, but for the last few days, I've been searching for it and it seems to have disappeared!

I'm still looking, and I <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> it hasn't left this house so, as soon as I find it, I'll post the recipe for you. Sorry I can't put my hands on it right away... :mellow: I have no idea what I did with that book!

Guest Guest

Found it!

SPICED APPLE RINGS

4 lbs small tart apples

antioxidant solution*

3 cups sugar

3/4 cup distilled white vinegar

3/4 cup water

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1/4 cup red-hot cinnamon candies

1/4 teaspoon red food coloring

1 tablespoon whole cloves

3 (2-inch) cinnamon sticks

Wash 4 wide-mouth pint jars in hot soapy water; rinse. Keep hot until needed. Prepare lids as manufacturere directs.

Wash apples; peel. Cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Cut out core to make rings. To prevent darkening, immerse in antioxidant solution. In a 6-quart pot, combine sugar, vinegar, water, corn syrup, candies and red food coloring. Lay cloves and cinnamon on a 6-inch square of cheesecloth. Tie edges together over spices, or break up cinnamon and place spices in a tea ball. Add to syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 10 minutes. Remove apples from solution and rinse in fresh water. Use a slotted spoon to lower rinsed apples carefully into syrup. Bring syrup back to a boil. Remove and discard spice bag. Pack hot apple rings into 1 hot jar at a time, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Add boling syrup to cover. Release trapped air. Wipe rim of jar with a clean damp cloth. Attach lid. Place in canner. Fill and close remaining jars. Process in a boiling-water bath.

Pints: 10 minutes. Adjust time for altitude**. Makes 4 pints.

* salt-vinegar solution: add 2 tablespoons salt and 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar to 1 gallon water. Immerse fruits- no longer than 20 minutes.

ascorbic-acid solution: ascorbic acid or vitamin C crystals can be found in drug stores, supermarkets, or health food stores. Usual concentration is 3-4 thousand mg. per teaspoon. Dissolve 4 teaspoons in 1 gallon water. Immerse fruit as it is cut.

commercial antioxidant: readily availabel in supermarkets, they are a mixture of ascorbic and citric acids or just citric acid with sugar added. Follw label directions when treating cut and peeled fruit.

** altitude adjustment. If I type this whole thing out, I'm going to need an attitude adjustment. I think everyone who cans knows how to make these adjustments.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Nana, would you mind posting your recipe for the pork in BBQ sauce to can up? DH and I eat a bunch of it and the local grocery has pork butts on sale for 98 cents a pound. If I could get a recipe on how to do this I will give it a try...thanks

Q

Guest Guest

Quilty, it just happens that I smoked three large fresh picnic roasts and I'm going to get most of them canned tomorrow. I don't really use a recipe for my sauce but in a pinch, my favorite store bought brand would work as well. In a hurry, I use Kraft Hickory sauce.

I can put my sauce together tomorrow and write it down as I go, then give it to you. Other than that, I just slow smoke the meat, thin slice it, simmer it in the sauce for an hour or so and hot pack it in quart jars, not too much extra sauce.

Then I just follow directions for time and pressure for my canner, for cooked pork. The only thing I would say to be careful of is, make sure you leave the right headspace, so the sauce doesn't run up the side of the jars.

We are serious meat eaters around here and a quart is enough for about 4 nice sized sandwiches. I open a jar, simmer it for 10 minutes and serve it on big onion buns.

It's really simple and tastes so good in the middle of winter when it's too rainy to use the grill. Try it, I think you'll like it. If you want my sauce recipe, holler and I'll post it tomorrow.

Okay nana, DH is going to do the pork butt out on the grill for me. I will pull it and cook in the sauce for an hour tomorrow and then pack it up in pint jars and pressure cook it....I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help Nana, I appreciate it.

Q

Archived