MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How do use your noodle???

I leave them on the thickest setting with the flat roller then with my floured hand lightly brush a thin coat of flour on the dough and put them through the cutting roller.

Mine is not an automatic one it is just a roller and cutter.

Guest Guest

Like Lois was saying, start on the thickest setting and I run my dough through that about 4 or 5 times...it's like bread, the more you knead it, the more pliable it becomes...once the dough starts to get more pliable, I then put it through the thinner setting for whatever type pasta I'm going to make, although I put it through the rollars about 4 or 5 times again on the thinner setting before using the cutting attachment.

I have an automatic one and I have tried again and again to use it with no success. I would like tips on how to ues it if anyone has experience with it.

I also have a hand one that I use in much the same way as Darlene and Lois but it's faster for me to just roll them out and cut them with a handy little hand cutter though. This little gadget has several roller blades in it that can be adjusted to the width I want and washes up like a breeze after just letting the whole thing dry and brushing it off.

I like to let my noodles dry just a bit and then put them into the freezer for later use. They are just as nice as fresh made though they will break up some when frozen if crushed. I also use non gluten flours like rice and millet to make noodles. They are a bit more tricky but I'm gluten intolerant and go very easy on wheat and etc.

Does anyone make Spaetzl? It's a german/swiss/austrian/hungarian (?) noodle (or dumpling) dough that is "grated" or "drizzled" into boiling water or broth and served with many meals. I have made it using just a grater on the large setting or even using thinner dough and putting it through a colander but would love to have a spaetzl maker.

I like noodle making. I can remember my grandmother making them and hanging long strips across chair backs and etc to dry. I have a drying rack for them made from dowel rods that is very effective but way too small for the amount I make at one time.

Good thread,

It was suggested I post this here for any one else who might be looking for a spaeztel maker www. ekitchen.com and type in speaztel maker in the search box they have several diffent kinds there. I just order and got a food strainer with a electic motor for it for around $130.00 which I didn't think was too bad. So no more cranking out that tomato juice or soup this year I am really hopeing it cuts the prep time to 1/2. Does anyone else have one? I would like to know if I am right? The motor also fits the noodle maker too so if I ever choose to get one I won't have to get the the motor for it.

alldoneandready

Archived