MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Look who gets rich from Bird Flu

CathyP

Sorry, I am not great at the computer.

This is what the article says

The avian flu has turned out to be profitilbe for U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, who has already cleared over 5 million in capital gains by selling some shares in Gilead Sciences, the biotechnology firm that developed the drug Tamiflu, while he was serving as a board-member for that enterprise reports an article in the London Independent.

The multinational chemical company Roche-Pharaceuticles then brought up the rights to make and sell the drug, with about 20 percent of the sales passing back to Gilead and it's stockholders. The repeated warnings of the United States and other authorities of an impending global epidemic of avian flu outbreaks have led over 60 countries to order large supplies of Tamiflu despite the fact that it has yet to prove its reliability at curing or stopping the H5N1 virus.

However, this nas not stopped Gilead's worth from skyrocketing in the last few years, with commensurate acceleration in the share price. Rumsfeld reportedly sold a portion of his holdings in 2004, reaping the multi-million in profit, according to his financial disclosure reports, and still holds a least five times that amount in Gilead shares, while other data indicates it could be as much as $95 million, which is even now generating its own multi-million dollar income-stream in dividens.

This is from Monday, March 13th 2006

Freemarketnews.com/worldnews

Now I understand why the government is pushing Tamiflu so hard.

Guest Guest

We have always been on our own. It is not now nor has it ever been a function of the government to 'take care of us'.

Depend on no one but yourself, plan for your family in the event that something happens to you.

I agree....

Some day people will learn that when the government says something they are not caring about the people.

Here in Wayne County we are having talks about lowering the local tax and everyone says how good that will be. But we know if the local tax goes down then some other tax will go up to pay for it? Like last time the town lowered property tax and then within 6 months raised the assessment on all the houses (DUH!) so guess what my taxes went up! Here at the Homesteader I just budget out for the year and no matter what changes happen I still am paying about the same.

And the funny part is everyone is talking about higher taxes and that we should pay less yet they want more police, better highways and more lighting downtown?

go figure....

Archived