MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pressure Canner Question

momahen

What is the normal ratio of sealed/unsealed cans for meat in a pressure canner? I'm getting about 50/50 right now, and am wondering if I'm doing something wrong. My jar rims are not cracked, and I'm using ball brand lids.

This is my first experience with a pressure canner. I've been boiling water canning for YEARS, and usually have 1 or 2 jars not seal in a large batch.

I have an All American canner that I bought new a week ago, and *thought* I read the directions well enough. I just want to make sure this is normal.

Keiko (the lurker)

Guest Guest

It can take up to 24 hours for a jar to seal.

If they are new jars... there may be problem with the levelness of the rim. I have found from time to time the lids will be out of round or the rubber is thin and doesn't allow for a good seal.

If you give them 24 hours, I would reprocess using a new lid and wiping the rim (I am a nut case about this) really clean. If not.. freeze or use.

Sorry we are meeting under these conditions.. but in a way I am happy cause we do get to meet you! Welcome!

Guest Guest

1. Why jars do not seal:

a. Off-standard jars and/or lids

b. Chipped or uneven sealing edge

c. Using one-piece caps instead of two-piece lids

d. Screwbands are rusty or bent providing poor contact

e. Bands not screwed down tightly enough before processing

f. Sealing edge not clean... wipe edge well before placing lid on rim

g. Liquid siphons out of jar during processing taking food particles on to the sealing edge

h. Insufficient heat during processing--air not evacuated from jar, so a vacuum seal never forms

i. Lids were improperly prepared before placing them on rims--most lid manufacturers require some pretreatment (heating, boiling, etc.)

j. Rapid, forced cooling of a pressure canner can cause a rapid pressure and temperature change inside the canner causing the liquid to "boil" out of the jars, leaving particles on the sealing rim and unsealing the jars.

Canners should not be "forced" into cooling rapidly by submerging them in water or by adding ice.

k. Insufficient processing of raw-packed food; the air may not have been completely driven out of the food leaving residual air in the jar so the seal does not form

l. Use of canning procedures which are not recommended such as open kettle canning, microwave canning, and oven canning. Use USDA recommended procedures.

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/rural-s...ial/canning.faq

in case the above link doesn't work

ibiblo.org/eclandtech/rural-skills

(edited by Cat for ease of reading)

Thank you for the list and reply! I'm going to go through it carefully tomorrow - I plan on canning some chicken. I know it's not the jars, since I grabbed a bunch of used ones from my mom. Maybe I'm not doing something right with my lids. Can't say as I've ever read the directions on the side of a box.

Gotta go (apparently I'm sitting on my two-year-old's imaginary duck). :lol:

Guest Guest

Hi Keiko, a couple of days ago I posted about canning 17 pints of pork and being happy they all sealed. The reason I was so happy is last year things didn't seal worth a hoot. I've canned for years and NEVER had the problems I had last fall. This time it worked great but I'm sorry I can't tell you anything I did different.

Canning is a lot of work and just one or two not sealing makes me angry, although I know it's not uncommon to have it happen.

I hope one of the ideas Westie gave you is what you need and it works for you. Whatever you do, don't give up, you'll figure it out!

AND, by the way a big welcome to Mrs. S. we're glad you've decided to quit lurking.

I have found that if the lid has even the TINEST imperfection on the lip that it won't seal. Even if it is just a slightly uneven seam, it won't work. I like to wet my finger and run around and around the rim feeling for anything at all.

Also, making sure the rim is completely clean. I wipe it with a clean HOT rag. And letting the lids sit in the HOT HOT water for a good 15 minutes and tightening the rings down good helps too.

Guest Guest

That's really interesting Dee how you had such problems last fall...it kinda surprises me cause I know you've been canning for years.

I rarely have a jar that doesn't seal, so it's beyond me.

Good links westie.

You didn't say how long after you canned them that you had problems?

We found out that some of our storage area was getting to warm (above 60 degrees some times)?

And that was when we had sealing problems come up. So it may not be your canning but your storage? Stuff like tomato sauce, pickles and jams can be ok at higher temps but meat needs to stay cool. Any help?

Guest Guest

Could have been a bad batch of lid sealant, too. I've never heard of it "announced" that lids were bad (why invite a lawsuit? ) , but it could happen.

Try lids from another store, or another brand. When you switch back to the others, watch them carefully

I'm having problems with getting them to seal within the first 24 hours of canning - I store them in the basement so they're staying cool and dark.

Here's what I'm going to try today with my chicken:

1. read the side of the box on the ball lids

2. make sure I'm wiping the jar rims thoroughly (thought I was doing okay with this before, but I'm going to keep a close eye here)

3. double check my headspace with a ruler

4. tighten my lids tighter (I usually tighten them fingertip-tight...I'm going to try a little tighter today)

I'll let you ladies know how they turn out. Thanks for all of your help so far - now I'm feeling guilty for just lurking and not introducing myself. So here I go to the sunporch...

Keiko

Guest Guest

yeah... I try to guilt everyone into introducing themselves! the more the merrier! (and I have company in princess boot camp)

I kept the rings on until they sealed (or for 24 hours, whichever came first). I think the problem was the lids.

I have wonderful news: In my mixed batch of 11 pints, 9 sealed today! I think that bringing the lids up to temperature before processing really helped. Oh, and of the two that didn't seal - 1 might have been a dud jar and the other jar broke.

Yay for me! Thanks for the help!

Guest Guest

I just had a thought also...

I'm sure you do this, but just wanna check...do you sterilize your lids in hot water before placing them on your jars when you go to can? I was just thinking that helps the rubber to soften on the lids before placing on the jar....

Guest Guest

I just bought the cutest little lid holder to serilize the lids! found it on ebay. Holds the lids all in a row. I hold the handle and let it rest in the boiling water until needed.

It is rather ingenious! too bad it is an antique!

Guest Guest

b3_1.JPG (Pic won't load, as it's long gone. Try a search on Dogpile.com or google)

sellers statement:

THIS NORPRO STERILIZING RACK FOR CANNING LIDS. SPECIALLY DESIGNED CANNING LID RACK STERILIZES CANNING LIDS WITHOUT DANGER OF SCALDS OR BURNS. HOLDS UP TO 12 CANNING LIDS, HOLDS ANY SIZE LID, DESIGN OF HANDLE KEEPS HANDS AWAY FROM HEAT, WOODEN HANDLE STAYS COOL, ALLOWS BOILING WATER TO CIRCULATE FREELY AROUND LIDS. I THINK THIS IS A VINTAGE ITEM. "PATENT PENDING" ON THE RACK

Guest Guest

MHS4,

doesn't look too hard to make. I don't think it will take any more time to load this lid holder then it does for me to fish the magnet out of the bottom of the pot from the lid lifter! like the glue holds that magnet in after about 30 seconds in the water!

How many times I have stuck that lifter in the water and had the magnet come off and stick to the lid! now I have this plastic handle trying to get the magnet in the hold and lift the lid! grrrrrrr.. so it was worth $11.04 cents!

It may turn out to be time consuming and I will go back to using my colander submerged in the pot... but for now I have a new toy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Westie, will you hate me if I tell you I found one of these gadgets today, for $3.50?

It's made by the same company, it also says patent pending on the rack but, the hanging card on it is different from the one in your picture.

I found it at Fred Meyer, a grocery & dept. store chain, whose parent company is now Kroger.

It was in the kitchen section, and on clearance, and the regular price was $7.99.

They may have some at other Kroger stores, for those that were interested.

Archived