MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

TEOTWAWKI Reality Check Test

Mother

The scene is this:

!!!The world has gone crazy or at least your part of the world. For some time the rising oil prices have caused all transportation and heating costs to be almost unattainable for most people. (Does this sound familiar?) The stock market had been climbing by leaps and bounds but suddenly has cashed due to rumors of economic unrest and war around the globe.( Does this resemble what we've been hearing lately?) Even if you don't have interests in the stock market, you suddenly find your bank closed and your funds are unattainable. Businesses are folding daily and people out of work, perhaps even yourself or a loved one. The prices of gas, food, supplies, medicine and almost all goods have gone out of sight and what you can afford is now in scarce supply. On top of that, now the threat of avian Influenza has become a reality. People are falling ill by huge numbers, hospitals are overflowing, schools are closed, hungry rioters are starting to amass in the streets and now the electricity has gone off and you have just heard that it will not be on for many months to come, if at all. The National Guard has been called out but there are not enough of them to handle the chaos; Society, as we know it, has totally broken down!!!

What natural medicines do you have on hand for handling illness and injuries of any kind and specifically a pandemic flu? How will you be using them? What fears do you have concerning their use? What Natural Healing or herb books would you suggest members have on hand to help them if a doctor is not available?

I do not feel I have the knowledge on this subject to use herbs as medication-YET. I use fresh herbs in cooking and I LOVE mint tea. I could make herbal rock candy for cough drops, I guess. I have horehound and lemon balm. I think this is going to be a slow process of learning different herbs and what to use them for and how. I don't think I would want to 'experiment' on my family....maybe if I was desperate. I do have many books on herbs and their uses. So maybe if I referred to them, I might try.

I keep olive leaf, St Johns Wort, peppermint, feverfew, mullein, colts foot, elderberry tincture, evening primrose, flax seed, milk thistle seed, evening primrose, damiana tincture, vit C, catnip, burdock is also plentiful, and can be used as a blood purifier, plantain grows all over my lawn. Please use you search engine to find the uses for these herbs as you will have more information on the individual herbs than I can give you here, a necessary part of natural healing is knowing all you can learn about the herbs you plan to use.

I would want to have “The Herb Book” by John Lust

If I had no other this would be great, it is the book that started me on the road to learning about herbs and is very informative.

The encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, Michael Murray, and Joseph Pizzorono

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, By James and Phyllis Balch

You also need to learn how to identify the herbs where they grow so a good descriptive book with color pictures is helpful if there is no one to teach you.

There are sites on the net that will give you pictures of the plants and flowers for identification purposes.

I prefer to find and use the herbs that grow naturally in my area, making it simpler to obtain them

It is important to remember that when preparing most herbal remedies that you need enamel coated, glass or stainless steel cookware. Aluminum can change the properties of the remedy.

Also your strainers must not be aluminum. Paper, cloth, plastic or stainless may be used.

Keep a few bottles just for your prepared remedies. If you don’t have brown bottles store them in any clean glass or plastic jar or bottle, in a dark place or in a paper bag.

Many of your herbs can be grown in your garden or in containers.

Eating healthy is your best protection against disease and sickness.

Culinary herbs contain many of the vit and minerals that we need so do keep them on hand. And do grow them as the leaves lose strength after a year an should be replenished often.

This post is submitted by Lois

We've planted an herbal garden this year and I've ordered several books on identifying wild edibles and using natural healing herbs.

I have sterile gauze, antibiotic cream, vetwrap, oral antibiotics and 'liquid stitches' type glue.

We have vit. c tablets and iron tablets.

My husband is on ALOT of medical prescriptions and the lack of these worries me. If we wanted to put back several months' worth, we'd have to pay out of pocket as the insurance will only cover 30 days' worth. That's over a thousand dollars for three month's worth out of pocket. yikes.

Sheri, if your Dr. writes the scripts for 3 months supply at a time the Ins will pay for it. We do this with DH's meds. The only ones they can't write this way are for narcotics they must be filled monthly.

post submitted by Lois

Ds is on thyroid meds, so I need to up the stash I have of those. DH is now on BP meds, will see what the final dose is before I stock up on those. For illnesses, I use grapefruit seed extract and homemade tonic. If BF hit bigtime, since DH and I are in health care, I would probably set up the garage as a decontamination room. Also have plenty of bleach and soap. I would really be in trouble, though, if we lost our water supply.

Lois, thank you for your suggestions on which herb books to have on hand. I ordered two of the three and will probably get the third one in a few paydays.

I am working on getting more herbs going in my garden as well as trying to learn more about them and know how to prepare them for use. There's so much more than just growing them.

I will vouch for Lois, this lady knows her herbs.. Last year, Lois was my spring fling pal.. She sent me a couple of packets of her own herbal tea containing St.John's wort, catnip and a pinch of peppermint.. this tea was so excellent in taste and it did it's job for relaxing.. just soothed those old nerves right down...

Quote:
We've planted an herbal garden this year and I've ordered several books on identifying wild edibles and using natural healing herbs.
I have sterile gauze, antibiotic cream, vetwrap, oral antibiotics and 'liquid stitches' type glue.
We have vit. c tablets and iron tablets.
My husband is on ALOT of medical prescriptions and the lack of these worries me. If we wanted to put back several months' worth, we'd have to pay out of pocket as the insurance will only cover 30 days' worth. That's over a thousand dollars for three month's worth out of pocket. yikes.

Can you do mail order through your insurance? We did this and it is so helpful. The Dr. writes a 3 months supply with refills for 1 year. You order and receive 3 months supply at a time. I order at the two month mark and they send out my next 3 month supply. This way you always have plenty on hand. After a while you will have months supply on hand. It is also cheaper. We only pay for 2 months supply but get 3 months.

Archived