MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hummus

First....

How do you pronounce it? Is it like humm, like humm a

few bars of a song? I have no clue.

Second....

Does anyone have a good tried and true recipe?

I'll find a basic recipe but I'm hoping to find

someone who's already got a recipe.

Guest Guest

I have made it a couple of times in the summer when it is too hot to cook....

not sure which book I used for the recipe..but..

once you have made hummus (hummmmmmmm)

get pita bread

Salsa

4 tomatoes

1 bunch cilentro

1 bunch green onions

dice tomatoes, chop the cilentro and green onions into a bowl. Add 1/4 tsp sugar and salt to taste. Mix. (I always triple or quadruple this recipe and add more tomatoes or onions or cilentro, it doesn't matter... and when I want it hot add some hot diced peppers) Refrigerate.

Take your Pita bread and cut in half, spread hummus inside and spoon in this salsa... eat.

This salsa can be used as a stand alone salsa and chips, over refried beans, in burritos, tacos, a side dish like a salad. Oh the possiblities are endless!

Guest Guest

this was also posted

Hummus

Type: Appetizer or Snack

Skill Level: Easy

Time from prep to ready to serve: Less than 30 min

Ingredients:

1 can (15-16 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained and 1/3 c. liquid reserved

3 T. lemon juice

1/2 sesame seed

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 t. salt

Chopped fresh parsley

Pita bread wedges

Instructions:

Place beans, reserved liquid, lemon juice, sesame seed, garlic and salt in blender or food processor. Cover and blend on high speed, stopping occasionally to scrape sides if necessary, until desired consistency. Spoon into serving dish and sprinkle with fresh parsly. Serve with Pita wedges.

Here's the recipe I like. It's from one of the Moosewood Cookbooks.

1 can chick peas - rinsed and drained

1 to 2 cloves garlic

1 or 2 scallions

small handful fresh parsley

3 Tbl Tahini

3 Tbl lemon juice

1/4 tsp salt

cayenne or cumin to taste

Blend garlic, scallions, and parsley in food processor. Add chick peas, tahini, lemon juice and salt. Puree. Season to taste. Chill

This is great as a sandwich spread with lots of fresh veggies. We love to pile on shredded carrots, broccoli shreds, cucumber... Yum!

well I made westbrooks recipe and did cut back on the lemon juice(2 T)? but it still was very lemony? will wait until it is chilled a bit to taste and see whats up? this may be a place to use the lemon packets we all got free in the mail?

anyway thanks for the recipe you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Cavey and I have a favorite Lebanese restaurant in Las Vegas, and they make wonderful Hummus. This recipe is almost identical to the one at the restaurant, and is the one we use and love. Enjoy!

Garlic Hummus

The roasted garlic was so good that this will now be our standard hummus recipe. For those not familiar with hummus, it’s a traditional Middle Eastern spread that is very tasty on warmed pita bread or raw vegetables.

1 whole head garlic, to be roasted

2 15 oz cans cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed with water

1 cup tahini

2/3 cup lemon juice (~2-3 lemons)

2 medium-sized cloves raw garlic, finely minced or pressed with a garlic press

salt to taste (~1/2 teaspoon sea salt is what we usually use)

water (~7/8 cup is what we usually use)

extra virgin olive oil, sweet paprika, and kalamata (or other) olives, for serving

1. Roast the head of garlic in the oven. To do this, slice off the top 1/3 of the head (to expose the tops of the cloves), place in a small oven-proof dish (e.g. a ramekin), fill the dish with water so that the bottom ~1/3 of the head is immersed, drizzle with a little bit of olive oil, cover with foil, and bake in a 325F oven for 1 hour (until soft). Let cool before using to make handling easier.

2. In a food processor combine the chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, raw garlic, roasted garlic, salt, and enough water to start the mixture blending (~1/2 cup).

3. Process the mixture until it is mostly smooth, adding water until it is the desired spreading consistency (we use ~7/8 cup total, but it varies). It typically takes us a couple of minutes of processing to get to the right consistency; it should be spreadable but not runny.

4. Taste to check for salt and consistency.

5. Spread on a plate or in a bowl, sprinkle some paprika on top, drizzle with olive oil, and place some whole olives on top (if desired).

6. Serve with warm pita bread (or whatever you desire).

If you don’t want to take the time to roast the garlic, you can omit the roasted garlic and increase the raw garlic by 2 cloves to make standard hummus, which is what we’ve done in the past. Eliminating the roasting allows this dish to be made quickly (all the ingredients store well), making it a great snack.

Tahini (sesame seed paste, aka tahina) is a critical ingredient of hummus, and should be available at most specialty markets that carry Middle Eastern food; I’ve also found it in stores that focus on organic / bulk foods like Whole Foods Market. Specialized Middle Eastern markets will likely have the supplies cheaper than other stores (especially pitas; our local Middle Eastern market sells a package of six for $0.40).

Modified from Scott, David 1983. Recipes for an Arabian Night: Traditional Cooking from North Africa & the Middle East. Pantheon Books, NY pp 15-16.

Guest Guest

Ironically, I just got done making a batch of hummus before I even saw this thread today lol...

I'm also making a batch of homemade pita bread to go with it. It seems I've been on a lebanese cuisine obsession lately. Sunday I made some tabouleh, falafel with tahini sauce, stuffed grape leaves, lebanese chicken and rice with ground lamb and maamoul (a lebanese cooking with either date or pistachio filling)...

Actually, as I type this, I'm starting to crave the falafel again...I think I have some left over that I could fry up!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived