MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dutch Oven and Camp cooking show

I have a question. There are dutch ovens with flat bottoms and some have feet. I can't afford a set of both kinds. Which is best for cooking over a fire, in the oven or on a wood stove? Basically, the best all around.

If you want an all around dutch, a flat bottomed one with a lid with a lip around it to hold coals is probably the best. You can use it in the oven, on top of the stove and in and around an open fire. The legs are meant to hold the pot up above the coals so it heats evenly. You can easily accomplish this with small or large rocks or even fire bricks. You can also buy trivets in diffferent heights for this very purpose. If nothing else, a couple pieces of green wood last a long time in a fire and can hold the pot up a ways. If you can find one that the lid turns upside down and forms a griddle, so much the better.

If you can have only one, look for a four-in-one. It has a deep pot with a handle on it and it has a lid with a lip to hold coals that can be turned upside down to form a round griddle. I use one like it for most anything.

For more tips you could check out my posts on open fire cooking. I've spent many hours cooking over an open fire and have learned much but like everything else in life, a person never gets done learning about something. I look forward to reading what others have learned about what is essentially a lost art.

i thought a dutch oven was those things that people plug into walls...some people call them crock pots, and some call them slow-cookers? are they the same(or simillar) or am i WAAAAAAY off?

A dutch over is a heavy cast iron pot that was used in the past to cook over an open fire but is now used for both inside and outside cooking. The thickness of the cast made it possible to cook over the sometimes intense heat of a fire without having the food burn easily. They are very heavy and distribute the heat evenly. The name Dutch Oven normally denoted a large pot with a lid, with or without legs to hold the pot up out of the coals somewhat.

The Dutch Oven might actually have BEEN the first slow cooker as it was used for cooking stews for hours. Now you can get cast iron pans in all varieties. Skillets with legs were originally called spiders but some Dutch Ovens with legs were called that also. You can get sauce pans, roasters, chicken fryers, corn pans, muffin pans, and all sorts of cast iron cookwear.

Can you tell I love cast iron cookwear? I have over fifty pieces of it but the one I use most is the Dutch Oven.

Archived