MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Problems at DD's School

MommyofSeven

OK I mainly just need to vent here...so just pat my hand and say "It will be OK, dear" LOL

My oldest DD is exceptionally smart. Since sixth grade, every test shows her reading at college level. Her IQ is off the charts. She gets tons of awards. She's going into ninth grade this year.

We live in a small town. We have a total of 150 students at our school, Pre-K through 12. As you can imagine, our tax base is small, so most of the school's money comes from grants. Last year, the superintendent/elem principal was fired, because she embezzled tens of thousands of dollars from our school. Despite the fact that she faced criminal charges, she was able to get a $14,000 buy out of her contract. At the athletic banquet last year, dinner was baked chicken with all the trimmings. At the ACADEMIC banquet, dinner was sandwiches and chips. When I mentioned it to the hs principal, he said "Well, the athletic banquet was paid for by the booster club." My response was "I'm sorry, I thought the school WAS the academic booster club." It sent a terrible message to our students.

Last year, at parent teacher conferences, I had a conference with both the academic advisor (also the band and careers teacher) and the hs principal. If DD's performance continues the way it has, she will have her choice of colleges, but only if she graduates college ready. Our school does not offer higher math or foreign language, both of which are pre-req's for a good school. I was told last year at the conference that not only will they make sure she has the classes she needs, even if she has to take them from another school on the internet, that she coudl take enough AP (advanced placement) and college classes to graduate with not only her high school diploma, but with an associates degree from the (fairly) local junior college. All of this covered financially either by the school or through grants. I told them if they could not make sure that she would be university ready by the time she graduated, I would put her in another school. I had already made arrangements with her father that, she could live with him and go to school there if need be. After the conference, I was convinced to keep her in this school. I was made all of these promises. Her dad, thinking she wouldn't be going to school there, moved to a smaller house.

Now, we have a new superintendent, and a new hs principal. Don't know yet what's going on at the elementary. My niece registered yesterday because they are going out of town. Her mom calls me and says "they aren't offering foreign language and they have to take reading instead." They also won't be offering computer classes. So, it sounds like the majority of promises I was made last year are up in smoke. I will find out for sure this afternoon.

The problem now is, it's too late for her to go to her dad's, cause he won't have long term space for her. There is an online school here that I can enroll her in, but it's probably too late to get her in for this school year. I'm afraid that she will end up having to go to community college instead, get bored and drop out. She gets bored very easily. I really want her to live up to her potential. At this rate, she'll never be given the chance to do that.

I will follow up this afternoon.

Mo7

You and your daughter are in my thoughts and prayers today. Sounds like the new principal/superintendent inherited a mess. On the other hand your daughter needs a fair shake in this and it seems like it would be kudos for the school to have such a student.

Mo7,

What state are you in? Ohio has several options outside of the home school district and the home school BY LAW must pay for those costs.

Don't give up on the online classes - most of those you should be able to enroll in virtually any time. Some of them are very individualized.

Keep beating the bushes and talk to the academic counselor again. I truly believe you still have many options.

If the school can't teach at your daughter's level, they should have to pay for her to attend another school, private or computer. Check with the state school administration bureau. I know that K12 offers advanced math and languages too. Or you could pull her out of school and do homeschool this year and add everything she needs or wants. Just remember you and your daughter can do anything and everything to make her dreams come true. Praying for you and your daughter too.

Archived