MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Amish Friendship Bread

does anyone have a recipe for what we called Amish Friendship bread? I remember that everyday you beat it or added something to it and then after so many days you gave part of the dough to a friend and cooked a tasty loaf of bread for yourself. It was easy and good.

Thanks ladies!

Here's what we have:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amish Friendship Bread

Grubby

I'm going to start an Amish Friendship Bread starter.

Does anyone else have one of these going?

What else do you add to yours? I've heard people adding

vanilla pudding, chocolate chips, applesauce, pumpkin

and pumpkin pie spice....the possibilities are endless.

Who uses yeast? I have two recipes, one with and one

without. I think I'll use the one with yeast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amber

Funny you should ask. I just copied out a lot of recipes for Friendship Bread, Amish and otherwise this past week.

My opinion after having made both varieties... is do use the yeast recipe.

The pudding recipe, in my opinion, is very heavy, too greasy, calorie laden, does not rise very much, tastes too sweet.

The yeast one is more like a 'sponge' version, and there are a lot of recipes that allow adding other things like fruit, brandied fruit, raisins, nuts, choc. chips, etc. without adding all that pudding goop. They still say to do the milk, flour, sugar in a 1:1:1 ratio, but I cut the sugar and it was fine. The milk is a food for the yeast anyoldhow. If I think on it, the sugar probably keeps the milk from spoiling, but I cut it back anyway.

A lot of the recipes call for salt in the starter; well, if you are using yeast, the salt kills it, so I would not use salt in any yeast starter, only in the cake making part.

Grubby, if you all ready know this, nudge me...lol

I think I got most of the recipes from

http://www.cooks.com/ after putting in the search box 'friendship bread starter' and 'friendship bread,' or 'Amish friendship bread' you will get a ton of recipes. Also I looked in http://allrecipes.com/recipes

and when I put in friendship starter, I even got one for brandied fruit starter that also has the thirty day friendship cake starter, if you want to go that route.

FWIW, My water is bad for making starter; they always go bad, either pink or orange or black after a bit. So I have to use bottled water when I make a sourdough starter. I just bought a large 1 gal. glass cookie jar at WallyWorld and will sterilize it before I make my next starter. I love sourdough flapjacks. I have a good recipe for making the ones that are good for eating cold with cinnamon sugar on them. They have a weird rubbery texture, but when eating them cold, they are great, and not dry cakey crumbly like regular pancakes. I'll be doing the friendship starter at the same time, I just bought a half gallon of milk for it.

Let's compare notes as we go along?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oldpine

try http://www.fooddownunder.com/ lots of recipes of all types (salt rising too) LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oldpine

Grubby:

The top one is the starter that I used, and the bottom one is the bread recipe I used, and so far the best I've made

haven't tried the others yet.

Ingredients:

2 cup flour

3 tbl sugar

1 tbl yeast (1 packet)

2 cup warm water (105 degrees)

Method :

• Mix everything together in a plastic or glass bowl. Beat with a wood or plastic spoon. Fermentation will dissolve small lumps. Cover bowl with a lid or a cloth. Set in a warm place with no drafts. Stir several times each day. Let ferment for 2 to 3 days. Refrigerate in plastic container with air holes punched in lid. Replenish every 7-10 days with equal amounts of flour and warm water. After replenishing, let stand at room temperature overnight before putting back in the refrigerator. If a clear liquid forms on top, stir back into starter. Basic recipe makes 4 cups of starter.

• Yield: 4 cups

Canadian Sourdough Oatmeal Bread

Keys : Breads Machine Bread Bakers International Vegan Vegetarian Canadian Canada North American

Ingredients:

1 cup All-Purpose Starter

3/4 cup Rolled Oats

2 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour

1 1/2 tsp Salt

2 tbl Oil

1 tbl Honey

1/2 cup Water

1 1/2 tsp Yeast

Method:

• * She recommends 1 teaspoon bread machine yeast or 1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast.

• ** I used 1 teaspoon salt.

• Combine all ingredients in the order that your machine manufacturer recommends.

(haven't used a bread machine, going to try it with out the extra yeast, and use 1-tsp soda in it's place this might take a little longer to raise, we'll see.)

Old Fashioned Sourdough Pancakes

Keys: Breakfast

Method:

• In a large bowl combine overnight starter ingredients. Cover with waxed paper or a cloth. Set in a warm place free from drafts. Let stand overnight or for 24 hours.

• Next morning, remove 1/2 cup sourdough starter and add back to original starter. In a small bowl, combine sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir into remaining sourdough starter mixture. Stir in oil. Add eggs; beat well. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and water. Gently fold baking soda mixture into sourdough mixture. Do not stir after baking soda has been added.

• Preheat griddle to 400F. For each pancake, pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Sourdough Applesauce Cake

Keys: Breakfast Sourdough

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Shortening

1 1/2 cup Sugar

2 Eggs

1 1/2 cup Sweetened Applesauce

1 tsp Vanilla

1 1/2 cup sourdough starter

1 3/4 cup Flour

1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda

1/4 tsp Salt

1 cup Raisins

1 cup Walnuts chopped

Method:

• In a large mixing bowl, cream together until light and fluffy, shortening, sugar, and eggs. Add apple sauce, vanilla and culture, mix well. Mix 2 Tbsp of flour with raisins and nuts. Add dry ingredients, mix thoroughly. Add nuts and raisins and stir to mix. Pour into lightly greased (bottom only) 10 inch tube pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes at 350. Let stand in pan for 10 minutes, then cool on wire rack.

Best I've made so far

Keys: Breads

Ingredients:

1 cup Sourdough starter

2 1/2 cup Flour

2 cup Warm water

3 3/4 x To 4-1/4 C flour

3 tbl Sugar

1 tsp Salt

1/4 tsp Baking soda

3 tbl Vegetable oil

Method:

• Cold water

• Mix 1 st 3 ingreds. in 3 qt. glass bowl with wooden spoon until smooth.

• Cover; let stand in warm, draft-free place for 8 hours. Add 3-3/4 C flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and oil to the mixture in bowl. Stir with wooden spoon until smooth and flour is completely absorbed. (Dough should be just firm enough to gather into a ball. If necessary, add remaining 1/2 C flour gradually, stirring until all flour is absorbed.) Turn dough onto heavily floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1-1/2 hours. (Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.) Punch dough down; divide into halves. Shape each half into a round, slightly flat loaf. Do not tear dough by pulling. Place loaves in opposite corners of greased cookie sheet. Make three 1/4" deep slashes in each loaf. Let rise until double, about 45 minutes. Heat oven to 375. Brush loaves with cold water. Place cookie sheet in center of oven; it should not touch the sides of the oven. Bake, brushing occasionally with water, until loaves sound hollow when tapped, about 50 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets; cool on wire racks.

• Be sure to let dough rise completely both times - it might take longer than the estimated times given.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sure I have more of these *somewhere* around here!! Gimme some time...

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

"Make something special to share with a friend! This delicious starter can make a variety of breads. Do not use metal containers or utensils."

Original recipe yield: 4 cups of starter.

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

3 cups all-purpose flour, divided

3 cups white sugar, divided

3 cups milk

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.

On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon.

Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.

Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk.

Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

NOTE: Once you have made the starter, you will consider it Day One, and thus ignore step 1 in this recipe and proceed with step 2. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.

http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/AmishFriendshipBrdStrtr.asp

Bread:

"This recipe was given to me by a friend several years ago. Different things such as shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, mashed bananas, chopped apples may be added to make the bread of your choice."

Original recipe yield: 2 loaves.

1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup applesauce

1 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 eggs

1/2 cup milk

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 (5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix

1 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup raisins

1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, stir together Amish Friendship Starter, oil, applesauce, sugar, vanilla, eggs and milk. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir into the starter mixture. Mix in the vanilla pudding mix. Fold in the chopped nuts, raisins and dates. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.

Bake for 60 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pans before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/AmishFriendshipBreadII.asp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AMISH CINNAMON BREAD

(FRIENDSHIP BREAD)

Starter

1 package active dry yeast

1 cup milk

1 cup flour

1 cup sugar

NOTE: DO NOT USE METAL BOWLS OR SPOONS AND DO NOT REFRIGERATE. PROCEDURE TO MAKE THE STARTER

Dissolve yeast in small amout of warm water. Mix all ingredients together in ample size bowl or jar (it will grow) This is day 1 of the recipe , then the next day go to day 2 and so on.

DAY 1 - Receive fermented starter in ziplock bag. Do nothing! Put bag on counter.

DAY 2 - Squeeze bag several times.

DAY 3 - Squeeze bag several times.

DAY 4 - Squeeze bag several times.

DAY 5 - Squeeze bag several times.

DAY 6 - Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup of milk. Squeeze bag several times.

DAY 7 - Squeeze bag several times.

DAY 8 - Squeeze bag several times.

DAY 9 - Squeeze bag several times.

DAY 10 - In a large non-metallic bowl, combine batter with 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix with wooden or plastic spoon. Take four one gallon ziplock bags and pour 1 cup of starter in each. Give these four starters with a copy of instructions to family and friends.

TO THE REMAINING BATTER IN BOWL, ADD:

1 CUP VEGETABLE OIL

2 CUPS FLOUR

1 CUP SUGAR

1/2 CUP MILK

1 TEASPOON VANILLA

1/2 TEASPOON SALT

2 LARGE EGGS

2 BOXES VANILLA PUDDING

1 1/2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER

1 1/2 TEASPOONS CINNAMON

In a separate bowl, mix 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 3 tablespoons sugar, sprinkle into well greased pans before batter. Bake at 325* for 1 hour or until done.

REMEMBER: Do not refrigerate starter! As air builds in the bag, let air out. It is normal for the batter to thicken, bubble and ferment.

Also, you can try different pudding flavors - add a little character to your bread! Someone recommended a box of pistachio and a box of lemon. Try it out!

http://breadnet.net/friendship.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amish Friendship Bread

Amish Friendship Starter

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

1 cup all-purpose flour

Combine the ingredients in a large deep glass or plastic container. Cover lightly. If the container has a lid, leave it slightly ajar or place a piece of cheesecloth over the container and secure with a rubber band. Store at room temperature.

Stir every day for 17 days. On day 18, do nothing. On days 19, 20, and 21, stir. On day 22, stir and add 1 cup of flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir again. On days 23, 24, 25, and 26, stir. On day 27, add 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk. Stir.

You should now have about 4 cups of starter. Give 2 friends each 1 cup and keep 2 cups for yourself. Use 1 of the two cups in the Amish Friendship Bread recipe and use the other to keep the starter going. When you give the starter away include these instructions:

Keeping a starter going: Do not refrigerate and do not use a metal spoon when stirring the starter.

On day 1 (the day you receive the starter), do nothing. On days 2, 3, and 4, stir. On day 5, stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and cup milk. Pour mixture into large glass mixing bowl; cover lightly. The mixture will rise. On days 6, 7, 8, and 9, stir. On day 10, stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Stir. Give 2 friends each 1 cup. Keep for yourself 1 cup to make Friendship Bread and one cup to keep the starter going.

Amish Friendship Bread

1 cup starter

2/3 cup vegetable oil

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

3 eggs

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 - 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

Your choice of raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, seeds, apples, dates, etc.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place batter in well greased and sugared 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350*F for 45-50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. - Nickie

http://homeparents.about.com/cs/recipescooking/a/amish.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archived