MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Brownies

One of my friends is dieting, and told me her version of brownies is to take a can of drained black beans, mash them and mix with a cup of water. Then mix that with a boxed brownie mix and bake as usuall.I was wondering if anyone has tried this, and what does it taste like?

Not sure about brownies, I do remember a fudge variation my aunt tried to pawn off on us kids using kidney beans in the place of sugar AND butter. (Also used carob). Only a family connection kept there from being shed blood at THAT birthday party. Never seen so many pissy ten-year olds. (And I know my mom started making "hidey bags" of food for Uncle Joe at that point. We love aunt M, but the woman just ain't right!)

Now... if you have no other options, this might be something to try. But as no one has ever confused me with Mikey, I would give it a pass. Just cut the brownies smaller, leave them up on a highshelf (make others WORK for their chocolate!) or if you really really want to lower the fat, use the mix - nix the eggs and replace that with about 2 Tbsp water and about 1 tsp potato starch. All the binding of the egg... no fat.

Applesauce also works. But beans? Dunno. Sounds like an.... interesting expirement. But one I think I would rather observe from a safe distance. (but... I AM curious now.)

Quote:
Not sure about brownies, I do remember a fudge variation my aunt tried to pawn off on us kids using kidney beans in the place of sugar AND butter. (Also used carob). Only a family connection kept there from being shed blood at THAT birthday party. Never seen so many pissy ten-year olds.

Oh my Magpie, I just about peed my pants reading this LOL!!!
Shawna

They turn out really well. I have a youth group and promised the moms I would make healthy snacks for them. One boy 12 keeps saying veggies (and anything except top ramen)makes him vomit. Well he gobbles these down like there was no tomorrow. I sneak beets, pureed veggies, beans, zuchinni you name it in cakes. Well the moms all ask for the recipes.

I use canned, pureed beans to replace the fat in a lot of baking products. Not for dieting or to get in veggies, but just b/c I'm cheap and it's a good way to rotate my beans!

I have also used applesauce to replace the fat, but it makes the baked goods quite sticky after a day or so.

If the world goes down, you bet my kids are going to eat muffins, brownies, cookies, etc. made with beans a lot easier than they will eat bean soup or baked beans. And frankly, as long as they are getting some protein, I'll be happy!

Am I wierd?

Weird is in the eye of the beholder. And frankly hon, take a look around this group. In the immortal words of the Chesire Cat...

"I'm mad, He's Mad, You're Mad".

'Taint a normal one in this bunch. Thank heavens!

And, now havin safely allowed someone ELSE to explore the minefield of taste, this is one bird who's gonna give it a whirl. (Hon will get fed some bean brownies first though. Not knowing will make it a fair test. And that's my ONLY reason for making him try it first. )

Thanks for the new idea.

1/2 cup cocoa

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1 1/4 cups white sugar

1 cup cooked black bean puree

4 eggs

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

Mix cocoa, butter, sugar, black bean puree and eggs together in a bowl until well blended.

Sift dry ingredients together and stir into wet mixture.

Grease a 9 x13 inch pan with cooking spray and pour the batter into the pan.

Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees or until done.

Visit Sally's new website, www.SallysKitchen.com.

[Home]

[The Story]

[Neighborhood]

[shopping Storing]

[speakers]

[Contact]

[Recipes]

[Emergency Test]

[banks Water Waste]

[bean Theory]

[Why Buy the Book]

[Original Site]

[Preparedness Quiz]

Buy our book

Site by

Connection Experts

Skillet Brownies

1 1/2 cup flour

1 tsp. double action baking powder

1/2 cup Hershey cocoa

1 1/2 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

3 tsp. Just Whites

2/3 cup oil

2/3 cup water

1 cup nuts, chopped

Throw everything but the nuts into a bowl and mix well. Stirring with a spoon works fine. Add the nuts.

Grease a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Put the mixture in the skillet. Cover and cook at medium low heat for about 20-30 minutes. Stick a toothpick in and when it comes out clean, the brownies are done. They may burn a little to get the top done. Just cut off the burned part. This one really works better in an oven if possible (350 degrees).

Makes about 1 1/2 dozen.

Quote:
...immortal words of the Chesire Cat...
"I'm mad, He's Mad, You're Mad".

'Taint a normal one in this bunch. Thank heavens!

Well, I'm gonna go "mad" if someone thinks she's quoting THIS Cat!!!

46.gif

And I beg to differ... who says I'm not "normal"????

Flying.gifHead-Spin.gifblissysmile.gifveildance.gifhareiam.gif9.gifgotcha.gifbigglassess.giflilacstars.gifsuperhero.gif

1.gif

smily005.gif

Archived