MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What about those end of the week soups?

bluegrassmom

You know, you save your leftovers and make a soup or stew out of them at the end of the week. It is bound to have anything in it. Meat, corn, potatoes. What I'm saving right now has potatoes in it. I have heard that you shouldn't can potatoes. I have even heard that you shouldn't can corn. (But then I saw all those cans of corn in Dar's cabinets.) Can I can this stuff? Or do I need to study it's ingredients every week first? Also, how do I know how long to process it for?

Absolutely you can home can it!!!!!

For pints, process for 75 minutes, quarts for 90 minutes, and pressure according to your elevation.

Let nothing go to waste! Westie is the home canning leftover queen!

ok this is my story and I am sticking to it, grab a cup of coffee cuz this is going to take awhile to ex splainnnnnnnnn, I know I know I have also hearded you can't can cabbage the people in the know say its a no no so darlene and westie you can whip with with a wet noodle if ya want too. Just to let you'all know I can it at my OWN risk. When my sis first started canning back in the 80's her and our friend of many many years canned it in a hot water bath her mother used to do it back in the hills when she was growing up. My sister didn't have a pressure canner then and when she got one she pressure canned it She had a canning book that said at the time you boil it for 3 min and hot pack it in qts with 1 tsp salt and boiling water 1 tablespoon of vinegar cap it and pressure can it for 45 min.10lbs of pressure. It came out just fine. Then we started reading that they don't recommend to can it only to freeze it, pickle it or kraut it. I still don't know why you can't can it. I have looked all over called my extention office even emailed Martha Stewart and asked and she put me in touch with the lady that can's alot and she said she don't but didn't know why you can't. Just she wouldn't recommend it either. So I have been on this quest to fined out why they say you can't do it but still no answers The only thing is have seen is that cabbage can get strong and can darken so that might be why they are saying no.

I have Canned the famous Cabbage Soup diet but mine had green beens in the recipe and it came out fine I canned it at 10lbs of pressure at a hour and 15 min. (I have another whole story about that soup but thats another big tail to tell). SO if Anyone has any answers as to why its can't be canned please tell me I really want to know. I love the stuff. I also have a corn relish recipe with cabbage in it that you hot water bath for 15 min but that has alot more vinegar in it. I wouldn't hot water bath just cabbage I would only pressure can it. But I do know I am Canning it at my Own Risk and am not telling anyone else to do it. Ok Darlene you can start the flogging now please

HSmom, yes, corn IS safe to can in either pint or quart jars. Pints are processed for 55 minutes, quarts for 85 minutes.

National Center for Home Food Preservation - Corn

Alldone - the reason that the USDA doesn't recommend home canning cabbage is that it is a low acid food (pH is naturally higher that 4.6) which increases the opportunity for harmful bacterias to grow in it. This is why home canning sauerkraut or other pickled cabbage recipes is allowed...the vinegar raises the acid level and lowers the pH levels to 4.6 or lower.

The other reason you're not supposed to can just plain (unpickled) cabbage is that because of the amount of time it requires for canning, it produces a very high amount of gas and will eventually break the seal. Anything in the cabbage family, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, will all build high levels of gas in the jars. If they don't manage to break the seal before you open them, that high level of gas is then introduced into your digestive tract, causing severe gastrointestinal distress. In some cases, it can mean a trip to the ER.

For this same reason, you aren't supposed to cook these vegetables for long periods of time. The longer they cook, the more risk there is of abdominal upset.

I don't know exactly where to find this information formally; this is info passed on to me by my mother, as she was advised by her doctor.

Archived