MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thyroid replacement therapy?

whitewolf55

New here. Been lurking for a while and finally decided to join in. (Great site, by the way ). My thyroid is dead. I am taking Synthroid daily. I have searched and searched to see IF there was anything that I could take naturally IF I was unable to obtain my meds....like if the SHTF. I can get a 3 months supply at a time, but that is it. I know the thyroid has an effect on every part of the body.....I have wondered just HOW long a person could survive without the thyroid meds. Anyone else got any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

Whitewolf

Whitewolf55, we're in the same boat. I had a total thyroidectomy in 1971 and have been on synthyroid ever since. As you probably saw from the link, if TSHTF so do we after awhile. I've often wondered what I could do if that happened but the news is never good. On top of that problem I have severe arthritis, I'm eat up with it. I've timed it, it takes only 3 hours for my pain pill to wear off, only 8 hrs for my anti-inflamitory to wear off, then I swell up in my joins and can't use my hands and other parts start to become immobile. I also have fibromyalgia, so when the muscles join in the swelling, that's it, I'm down for the count. Hey the good news to all of that is I'm bi-polar- so in 3 days when those meds run out I'll be a babbling idiot talking to those voices in my head and won't care about the pain my body is in. Just think, then we'll be the pharm banditos!

• 3 weeks later...

I also take synthroid and will be out of luck when the SHTF...but I also take 15 other medications, so synthroid is way down on the list of ones that I will have to worry about. It is also one of the reasons that I work so hard now on survival. I want my family to survive and even though they think I am a little wacky, I want them to have the information that they will need to survive even after I am gone. So I do everything that I can to prepare my loved ones now. I write detailed descriptions of how to do things, so they will know. For my son's birthday party, we made homemade ice cream. For a science project, we made yogurt, butter, cheese and cottage cheese. I try to work these things into their every day life. Only God knows how long I may live without meds post-SHTF. I pray that it's long enough to answer all their questions about my directions on how to do things to survive. I know I won't go down without a fight??? It may end up that the only thing still working is my mind and my mouth, but that may be the only thing that they need to work. I will take whatever I can and use it. Then as soon as I get to Heaven, I want to apply for the position of Guardian Angel and come back and watch over them.

• 1 year later...

Karen,

are there any naturopaths near you? A friend of mine has a teenager daughter w/ fibromalgia and the drs couldn't do anything for her. She finally took her daughter to a naturopath, they changed her diet and she's doing MUCH better!

just thougth I'd throw that out there in case you have access too

Archived