MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thoughts on Healing

Mother

Having just had a bout with a recurring, chronic illness and having no health insurance it has really been brought home to me how important natural and alternative healing can be. The one serious problem with alternative healing is that there are so many modalities out there that it’s difficult for the untrained to decide just which one is best for the problem at hand. On top of that, no one thing is right for every individual. There is NO “one size fits all” in this. It brings up the question of where does one start!

We here in the United States, and indeed in most ‘industrialized” nations, live in polluted, stressful environments and no matter how careful we are, we can’t help but have our bodies exposed to various and assorted toxins. Even if you live in an area that has no direct pollution that you know about, you are still bombarded with chemicals and additives in the food you eat. You are exposed to electrical impulses in almost unlimited amounts including the computer you are reading this on. You are hit with stressors in an ongoing daily barrage. If you have no personal stress in your life you are still stressed by stop and go lights calling for instant reactions, telephones demanding attention, speeding cars whizzing past, horns blaring, and lots more. We each react in different ways to these various toxins and environs. Some people have strong enough constitutions that they can withstand almost anything but those are the lucky ones. Most of us eventually react in some way to all that is thrown at us and will succumb to some disease, malady or affliction to our health.

While not everyone gets heart disease, or cancer, or liver failure, or diabetes, there is more and perhaps even worse problems out there. Chronic diseases like Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Lupus, MS, and a host of other like “syndromes” or diseases are on the rise. Almost anyone you talk to has one of these or knows someone who does. These maladies are starting to take a toll in the work arena and are most likely one of the causes of our economic problems today. They are certainly lining the pockets of Doctors and health professions in a huge way. Even the Alternative Medicine field has benefited financially from the numbers of sick people out there today. With more and more people loosing their health insurance because of economies, sometimes the only recourse for them is to turn to alternative medicine.

While there is ‘no size fits all’ in this area there are many things that we can all do to help insure that we have less of a chance to succumb to these illnesses. In the next few weeks I will attempt to post some of these ‘aids’ in the hopes that we can get discussions going about the benefits or drawbacks of each one. It’s my hope that those of you who are knowledgeable or have experience in the use of natural healing modalities will join in and share your information and experiences for all of us to learn from. I’ll start it out with some general information on natural healing in a separate post.

Good post Mother, there are toxins in the air, our cleaning solutions and even shampoo and many other things that we don't think about, as well as the emotional stress we handle daily

Hopefully we can all learn different ways to deal with them.

You're right Lois. I neglected to mention that the skin is an organ, one of the largest in the body. It can absorb nutrients and toxins alike. That's why you now see many pharmaceutical medicines in skin patch form. I try to remember this saying, "If you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin."

I'm not sure if this is the forum to discuss it in but there are a lot of skin and personal care products that you can make in your own kitchen out of safe ingredients. Anyone interested?

I'm not sure if this is the forum to discuss it in but there are a lot of skin and personal care products that you can make in your own kitchen out of safe ingredients. Anyone interested?

YES!!!

Stacy

I'm going to try the honey facial. I'm game for all kinds of care...but, if you have good recipes for lotions I'd like to try. My family loves to try different scented lotions. I also still want to know about cleanses (internal)...in particular about how safe they are.

Stacy

Archived