MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Christmas Dinner

What do you fix for Christmas dinner? Include recipes if you want.

I fix...

Ham

Chicken Poppyseed Casserole

Baked Beans

Potato Salad

Deviled Eggs

Green Bean Bundles

Ambrosia

Yeast Rolls

Coconut Cake

Cheesecake

Potato Salad

5 lbs new red potatoes

2 cups chopped celery

1 red onion chopped

6 boiled eggs chopped

1 container of good quality french onion dip

1/2 cup mayonaise

salt and pepper

Boil potatoes, and allow to dry for several hours on paper towels. Chop into pieces. Combime potatoes and rest of ing in large bowl. Chill overnight.

Ambrosia

1 can coconut

2 cans mandarian oranges

2 small cans crushed pineapple

1 bag marshmallows (mini)

1/2 cup coconut milk

1 small container of cool whip

Combine all ing. and chill.

Chicken Poppyseed Casserole

5 boneless skinless chicken breast

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 small container sour cream

1 sleeve of Ritz carckers

2 tbs butter

2 tbs. Poppyseed

Boil chicken and cut into bit size pieces.

Combime with soup and sour cream. Pour into a casserole dish. Melt butter and add to crushed Ritz crackers.

Sprinkle on top of chicken mixture and then sprinkle with Poppyseed. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

( I always double this recipe and it still all gets eat.)

Master Cheesecake

1 table. softened butter

3 table. crumbs of choc. wafers, or gingersnaps, or graham crackers

3 8 oz. packages cream cheese at room temp.

l cup sugar

3 large eggs at room temp.

2 tsps. vanilla

l/4 cup heavy cream

l/4 cup sour cream

Adjust oven rack to middle position, and heat oven to 325 degrees. Brush interior of a nine inch spring form pan with butter. Add crumbs of choice and tilt pan in all directions to evenly coat. Tear off two strips of heavy foil, overlap in a cross patter, and set the pan in the middle. Bring up sides, crimping around exterior top of the pan and forming a tight seal. Set in a roasting pan large enough to hold it.

Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add sugar and beat on medium speed until fully incorporated. Scape down bow sides and beat again until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl after each addition. Slowly beat in vanilla, then cream and sour cream. (Meanwhile, bring some water to a boil in a tea pot)

Pour batter into prepared pan. Set the roasting pan on over rack and pour enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the pan. Bake until cake perimeter is set but center still jiggles, about 40 minutes. Some flavors make take longer. Turn off heat and leave oven door ajar, let cheesecake sit in oven so the residual heat continues to cook, about 30 minutes.

Remove pan from water, set on a wire rack and let cool to room temp. Cover and refrigerate until well-chilled about 3 hours. Can be refrigerated up to four days. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the pan, loosen the spring and slide onto plate.

Tiramisu Version

Follow master recipe. Brush 24 soft lady fingers with mixture of 6 table. strong coffee and 2 table. rum. Line the sides of the pan with lady fingers, trimmed to fit. Stir 3 table. espresso powder into batter. When ready to serve, shave 4 oz bar of semi or bittersweet choc with a veg. peeler onto cake top.

Green Bean Bundles

1 tablespoon ground garlic

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon melted butter

1 cup water

fresh green beans

4 bacon strips cut in half

Wrap about 8 beans with a strip of bacon. Lay in a baking dish. Repeat.

Mix garlic, brown sugar, butter, and water together. Pour over bundles.

Bake at 325° F. for 30 minutes or until bacon is golden brown.

Since I didn't cook at Thanksgiving, I'm planning yummy dinners for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Christmas Eve:

Country Ham

HashBrown Casserole

Corn on the Cob

Deviled Eggs

Homemade Yeast Rolls

Christmas Day:

Baked Turkey with Dressing

Green Bean Casserole

Mashed Potatoes

Turkey Gravy

Homemade Yeast Rolls

Anything leftover from Christmas Eve

We will, of course, have the usual array of cookies, candy, and desserts. I think I'll make a coconut cake.

mommafitz

We still are thinking on the final list! But will probably be:

Glazed ham

Roast chicken

Roast potatoes, pumpkin and sweet potato

carrots and peas

gravy (of course!)

pavlova

fresh fruit

During the day there will be continous bowls of fruit punch, sugar peanuts, and homemade treats.

Sue

We'll be having:

Baked Ham

Roast Turkey Breast and Gravy (a small turkey breast, because I didn't get enough turkey at Thanksgiving, lol)

Green Beans (Lilly's recipe for Green Bean Bundles sounds yummy!)

Mashed Potatoes

Cranberry Sauce

Homemade Yeast Rolls

and the usual Christmas cookies, pies, etc. I also make Sausage Cheese Balls in the morning, and will usually have a cheese log with crackers and/or veggies for snacking. 0304.gif

Oh boy...now my stomach's growling!! 0293.gif

Christmas eve we'll have

before dinner

chips and dip for the kids

and crab dip and crackers for hubby and I

Dinner

Baked ham

greenbean cassorole

corn cassorole

mashed potatoes

deviled eggs

pretzel salad

and biscuits

I'll make a pudding pie for the kiddos and a pecan pie for hubby and I.

Christmas, I'll make pancakes for breakfast after presents, and after that we will just graze on leftovers all day.

Christmas Eve

Smorgasboard! Just an assortment of goodies we love to eat and special items we don't normally have. Shrimp will definately be on the list. I'm shopping Costco for some pre made foods as well. Christmas dinner will all be homecooked.

Oh yes, Christmas Eve is a MUST for LOTS of Christmas chocolate, turtles and pot of gold is a tradition to have around here, also a huge bowl of assorted nuts.

Christmas morning we have waffles, with whipped cream and strawberries for breakfast.

Christmas Dinner:

Ham/pineapple sauce

Turkey breast w/gravy

cranberries

Yams

coleslaw

mashed potatoes

green beans

homemade buns

and the usual pickles and olive plate

non alcohol fruit berry wine

Large platter of goodies

Fresh fruit and dip

Cheese and crackers

Chocolate (of course)

I've got a lot to shop for!

I'm going simple this year, because I'm in and out of the kitchen all day every holiday season. I want to be able to sit with the family and enjoy the kids this time. One dish to clean and still a nice meal. We'll still have all the cookies and candies though. I can't seem to get myself away from that...lol. And I'm sure that I'll make some snacky stuff to munch on throughout the day to. I'm going to have to make a Christmas Eve brunch as well for the out of town family thats comming up. I'm going to make hot curried fruit, bacon, maple syrup sausages, french toast puffs, and eggs frittata. I saw this in a Paula Dean magazine and had to try it out. Everything looked so simple and easy, but still a very nice meal. I've just been finding myself wanting something different lately for the holiday meals instead of the traditional things that I make every year.

Archived