MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lobelia

patagoniagal

Several herbs comes to mind for a liniment for pain. St. John's wort for one. I know that Lois has used this with great results so maybe she will jump in with some suggestions about it.

Others are yarrow, goldenseal, balm of gilead, red clover, dandelion and comfrey. Myrrh is good too. Rosemary and eucalyptus also. Not all are specifically pain relieving but are all healing in their own way and thus beneficial for pain also.

Hope this helps some.

Reasoning suggested to me that St Johnswort could be used to relieve pain as it works on the nerves.

Our nerves carry the message to our brain that we have damaged some part of our body.

I felt that treating the nerves by appling this to our skin should be as beneficial as ingesting it.

Our use has found it to be effective in not only relieving pain but it also has helped to reduce bruising more quickly.

I have just ground the leaves and small stems and flowers to a powder and mixed with petroleum jelly and applied to the painful area. The essential oil mixed with a carrier oil should be effective also. I have made some St Johnswort oil by putting the fresh flowers in olive oil and setting in the sun for 3 weeks. We are going to see how this works this year.

Thank you Thank you.

I have comfrey and myrrh on hand, so that is an option, but I looked up the name of St. John's Wort in Spanish and need to check the herb store and see if he has it.

Here's the link for a WONDERFUL translation site for English to Spanish herbals. The Latin names are listed also.

http://www.innvista.com/health/herbs/spanish/default.htm

Patagoniagal

Here's my Herbal Liniment Recipe.

16 fluid oz. Vodka or rubbing alcohol

1/2 oz. lobelia herb

1 1/4 oz. Eucalyptus herb

1/4 oz. cayenne pepper

Mix the herbs and vodka in a quart jar. Shake real good every day for about 1 week or so. Keep in a dark place. Strain thoroughly, label bottle. DO NOT DRINK!!!

My husband uses this all the time for a knee injury. He says it really heats up when the muscle is used, but it's not a burning heat, more like a warming heat. It helps keep that stiff, sore feeling at bay.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived