MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pinto beans

Well, I haven't got a chance to try the pinto beans because I keep forgetting to soak them in the crockpot!

However, I do want to say thanks for the tips on the quick soaks and baking soda. I tried those yesterday and I have never had such success with cooking pintos before! I boiled them for a few minutes with the baking soda, turned off the heat and let them sit for about an hour, then brought them to a boil again for a little bit. I drained the baking soda water off, added more, plus some seasoning I had specifically for beans and then cooked them for about 1 hour. They were so tender and delicious - surprised my dh too!

I told the boys they better be prepared because now that I have found the secret to success we were going to be eating more beans

Never heard of this about the baking soda, but will try it, I just love pintos,not the gas tho. My dad who taught me how to cook told me to add a teaspoon of suger at the beginng of cooking and it really does reduce the gas affect on some people. Which is really a GOOD THING.

It will also soften the skins on the beans, which can be a problem if you're cooking beans at a high altitude. My beans always had tough skins (which is why I haven't been able to make a decent batch of baked beans). I tried the baking soda method (turned the water red LOL) to reduce the gas and the skins were softer, too!

Mo7

Who is going to try some baked beans with baking soda today.

Archived