MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Amish Oatmeal Cookies

I'm posting this as a part of the frugal old cookbook thread. I had asked Cat if she had one, but I managed to find it in the meantime. This is an ALL DAY PROJECT. Consider yourself warned. But when my kids were home I only had to make cookies once every six months. And I used my quart water bath canner (after a good cleaning) to make these in. It is all scratch ingredients that you probably already have.

Amish Oatmeal Cookies

3 C. sugar

1 1/2 C. lard (or shortening)

1 1/2 C. raisins

2 1/2 C. Oatmeal

1/2 C. molasses (dark)

3 eggs, beaten

1 C. peanuts

1 C. sour milk or buttermilk

2 Tbs soda

2 Tbs baking powder

6 C. flour

1 tsp. each of nutmeg, cinnamon and salt

Grind raisins and peanuts. Sift together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in lard, add sugar, oatmeal, raisins and peanuts. Mix well. Dissolve soda in sour milk and add molasses and beaten eggs. Add to mixture. Chill one hour. Using your hand, roll the dough into balls the size of a walnut and press slightly flat. Beat two eggs and paint the top of the coookie with egg. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown. Makes about 40 dozen cookies.

Will keep in freezer for one year.

Ok, that's it, I'm gonna hafta make these too today...I must be on a roll or something, but I'll tell you one thing right now...these cookies will last 3 days in my house with my kids. I always make double batches of cookies so this is nothing.

I'm excited to taste them, I'll let you know later today!

Well I only baked one batch cause I'm feeling lazy tonight and I just wanted to taste them...

They have a little different taste from my regular oatmeal cookies...the molasses gives them an old world taste that I like. My youngest son really likes them alot and my oldest son took a couple and put it on a bowl of icecream and ate them that way...lol

I'd like to try them without the cinnamon and with chocolate chips sometime...the base recipe is very good...thanks quiltys for sharing it!

I was tempted to try the recipe, but I really don't like raisins (I think it's the texture more than the taste, as I don't like dried--or fresh--cranberries or blueberries, either). Amazing how many recipes I miss out on because of this. From time to time, I try them again, and I just don't care for them. Wish I wasn't so picky.

Archived