MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

When do you start worrying? (body temp)

TheCG

There's enough parents on here that I figure someone will probably answer fairly quick (or at least before I wake up tomorrow morning).

When someone's sick, at what temp do you start worrying? I have some kind of evil upper respiratory thingummy and while I normally don't really run a temp or feel feverish when I'm sick, but I'm running 100.2 (my normal is about 98). I hate to take meds, so really don't want to take tylenol to bring it down (though I'll probably have to to sleep).

I'll probably go to the doctor tomorrow afternoon if I'm not feeling better, but they'll probably tell me it's viral (I don't think I've ever had viral upper respiratory crud - always bacterial) and to stay home (I managed to get the weekend off, but I can't miss any work or I could be fired) and drink fluids.

So...how concerned should I be?

Too tired to bounce today...

Well for me, I don't start to medicate unless my fever is over 102, and that depends on what I think is going on. If you're not coughing up anything, probably is viral. Are you achy at all, and exhausted? If so it's probably the flu. I like to use Nyquil gel caps if I am coughing enough to disturb my sleep. It has acetomenophin (tylenol) in it, but also cough suppressants so it helps you sleep.

Not really achy (well, my chest hurts from coughing so hard!), but I'm coughing up yellow gunk. I figured I'd take the Tussin DM stuff and 2 tylenol and hope it kicks in quick so I can sleep. Last night was entertaining, I kept seeing weird things I normally don't see. The TV that isn't even plugged in glows, as do the buttons on its remote. Weeeird.

I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly.

A temperature isn't dangerous until about 104.

If you feel good enough to

a) get down fluids, and

B) get some good rest,

then I would suggest skipping the tylenol. The purpose of fever is to literally cook the offending virus or bacterium.

However, if you really feel awful, especially if you can't rest, take some tylenol. If you're healthy, you can take some ibuprofen, too. Some people take tylenol every 6 hours and ibuprofen every 6 hours, but off set them by 3 hours. So you'd take tylenol at 9am, 3pm, 9pm, and 3am. And ibuprofen at noon, 6pm, midnight & 6am.

Hope you feel better quickly!

Doctor says I have bronchitis again. Weee! My temp was up to 101.7 when they checked it. They gave me cough syrup with codeine and antibiotics and told me to go ahead and take tylenol, antihistamines, and my inhaler. I'm trying to get ahold of my boss to see if I can get off work for Monday as well, but no answer yet.

Feeling a bit better, but nowhere near good yet. My entire head still feels stuffed up, still coughing, though not quite as much. I actually got to sleep last night (crashed arount 7 or 8, I think). I did wake up a few times, but was able to go right back to sleep.

My head hurts if I bend over, so even though I'm behaving and staying home, I can't work on cleaning my room or even cutting out fabric. I've been sitting on my bed cutting out patterns for the last few hours. I'll probably work on sewing more trim on trim shortly. I'm sewing 1/4 inch trim on each side of a 1 1/2 inch ribbon to trim a middle eastern-looking outfit for my medieval recreation stuff. Weeee!

Aww {{{{{{ CG }}}}}} Bronchitus is the worst I used to get it all the time, until I found out about the asthma and went on Advair. Do you have Asthma? That definately makes it more likely that the stuff we catch settles in the chest and leads to needing antibiotics. I'm glad you went in to the Dr right away so you can get better!

Yes, I do have asthma. I'm already on Advair. This is my second time in 2 months for bronchitis.

I cut out patterns, then started reading trashy romance novels. Woohoo!

Thursday is going to suck, Mom's coming into town on Saturday or Sunday and I haven't been able to clean up, so it'll all get done on Thursday. Eep.

Hi CG!

A temp isn't usually the only thing I go by, before I start worrying about my chicks. I had one have pneumonia a year ago and she had no temp., but was vomiting. I took here to ped. who hospitalized her, because she had become dehydrated and couldn't keep the antibiotics down. Guess waht...She had bad sore thorat, but no cough. She said she felt like her throat was closing up. MY son and I both have Post Streptoccocal Rheumatic Infection Syndrome, which is a post strep disorder...Neither one of us had a fever during the intial infection, although I have kept a low one for most of the rest of the year. I don't even know when I had strep...Only the blood levels told the whole story.

You were right to be concerned about a thick yellow discharge. You also needed to be extra careful, since you have asthma. I and four of my chicks have that and it makes any respiratory illness worse. Wheezing badly is a good time to run to the doc...A fever over 102, for several days and no sign of improvement would be also. Becoming dehydrated is NO good!

You did the right thing. When you are younger and haven't seen so many bugs and illnesses...It is easy to become scared. I have grown chicks, that still call me when they are vomiting...Scared they are dying...We all want to be healthy! I'm glad you are on the mend! Have you tried Mucinex? We tried it with the last ROUND and it really helps thin out that thick discharge. Also..Believe it or not...Those nasal strips actually do help you breath better!

I tried Mucinex on the last round. Can't take it this time because the cough syrup they gave me already has guafensin (however you spell that stuff) in it.

But hey, I learned that if they give me codeine I can actually sleep all the way through the night!

Feeling quite a bit better today, worked the full day, only had to stop once from coughing. Hopefully it keeps getting better.

Archived