MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A little hint

Momo

Whenever you talk to relatives be sure to have a pen and paper handy. That way, whenever the talk may turn to "family stories" you can jot down notes for your genealogy research. My mother's sister is the only one left in her line and if I ask her to help with genealogy, she can't remember much. If we get to chatting about "old times" the stories spill out. I jot it all down for prosperity. She is the last witness to my mother's youth and the only living person who knew my granny.

Wow, how did I miss this one. thglitterthanks.gif for posting this. smileth6dee1705-2.gif

You are so right, Momo, take the pen and paper or a tape recorder whatever you can to get those stories.

Old Pine had an uncle that could really tell stories, but, as soon as the recorder came out, no one would talk. frown

Paper and pen would be something you might be able to do and they not mind so much. smile

we have been helping doing this at the Museum I worked at. Getting people to talk about growing up and how they lived.

Another thing we have be tring to do and to let people know are all the old photos that people have - get someone to tell you WHO is in the picture and write it down (don't use pen on the back it will bleed with time and show up on the front. WE have tons of photo there that nobody knows who is in them (very sad) or where they were taken and a lot of times not even a date.

My mom is the last one who remembers anything in her family. Usually the same surface stories come to mind at holiday time. :banana2:

It takes brain surgery!! We toured through three states and yacked for days while we drove. I stopped at every cemetery I could find that had relatives taking up space in them ... sometimes three and four generations. Now THAT'S history. :woot:

Wow!!! Can mom think deeply when its not over pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving time. banana

Archived