MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning pumpkin soup

SueC

Can I have some feedback on this please? I have questioned this in a local forum, and came to the conclusion that as the soup in question was half pumpkin and half stock, that it would be ok, as the soup is NOT a puree or mashed on its own.

Yet it has raised this comment

Quote:
I am sorry, but canning pumpkin soup is not considered safe. Only chunks of pumpkin in water is safe to can.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/tips/fall/pumpkins.html

Canning pumpkin butter or mashed or pureed pumpkin is NOT recommended.

Home canning is not recommended for pumpkin butter or any mashed or pureed pumpkin or winter squash. In 1989, the USDA's Extension Service published the Complete Guide to Home Canning that remains the basis of Extension recommendations today, found in the September 1994 revision. The only directions for canning pumpkin and winter squash are for cubed pulp. In fact, the directions for preparing the product include the statement, "Caution: Do not mash or puree." More information can be found here: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/...kin_butter.html

(Violet)

Obviously I want to do the right thing and not put my family in danger. What do you all think?

frown Darn, I was really looking forward to being able to can this soup as it is our favourite. I can buy it commercially canned but it doesn't taste as nice.

thanks for your feedback bighug

I looked at the site canningusa. I have no idea what that persons credintials are, but I did find some things that are not considered safe if following USDA guidelines, such as a sauce with mushrooms that is water bath canned. Even with the lemon juice, it should be pressure canned. Plus, he has thickened some mushroom soup, which is not safe according to USDA guidelines. Not even Clear Jel should be used in any low acid food nor in any tomato products when canning.

You can freeze the soup just fine.

Archived