MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Instant oatmeal packet ideas?

One of the boys moved back in bringing with him a 55 packet variety package of instant oatmeal.

Now you know he won't eat it living here, so what am I going to do with them? If they weren't flavored I could put them in meatloaf and things, if they weren't instant I could use them in oatmeal cookies...

WHAT am I to do with these flavored things?

HELP, please ...?

The oatmeal cookie recipes I have use old-fashioned oatmeal, not instant.

I did find this, but it seems like a lot of grease to me and I have no idea how the darn flavors would combine- http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf147340.tip.html

I make "No Bake Cookies" from instant oatmeal. My kids love them.

No Bake Cookies:

2 C. Sugar

2 Tblsp. Cocoa

1/2 C. Butter

1/2 C. Milk

1/2 C. Peanut Butter

1 Tsp. Vanilla

5 C. Instant Oatmeal

Combine sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and peanut butter and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and oats. Stir until combined. Drop by tsp. on wax paper or spead in a pan, cool and cut in squares. Post by luv2craft (67) | (05/05/2005)

Found another, I think I'll try this one. Thought I'd post it in case someone else is looking for ideas.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/print?id=170423

An easy-to-make recipe to make a giant cookie out of a package of instant oatmeal! NOTE: I have used 35 g and 43 g oatmeal packages of different flavors with the same success. by Jonesament

Instant Oatmeal Cookie Recipe #170423

9 min 1 min prep

1 (43 g) package quick-cooking oatmeal (your flavor choice)

1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour

2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon vanilla

1. Comebine ingredients and spread onto a greased cookie sheet or pizza pan. Bake at 350 for 8 - 10 minutes.

//What a great idea! Every college student needs to know about these! I tried banana nut, and I couldn't help but eat the whole thing all at once LOL. I agree that plain would probably be a bit bland, but for flavored varieties this is right on the money. Perfect for that last-minute need for a cookie fix!// >> This recipe is just wonderful and very clever! I love that I can make a few small bite size cookies or one large oatmeal cookie from just one package of instant oatmeal. And I love that I can use different flavors for a different taste. So far I have tried this with cinnamon, bananut nut, and regular and I love it! Thank you so much for an easy recipe. I will definately make this again and again!! >> ;;Great cookie for an easy snack or breakfast. I tried this with both regular and apple cinnamon oatmeal. I really preferred the apple cinnamon over the regular (no sugar, so very flat tasting). I am not a big "breakfast" fan, but I really enjoyed this cookie. I made my own applesauce from 1 apple and have enough leftovers for a cookie tomorrow. I baked it in my little toaster oven, which made it fast and easy. Perfect for those fussy teenagers or adults...like me!;;

---------------------

Leah, this sounds like it would be wonderful for college students.

I am wondering if it can be cooked in a toaster oven. That would make it nice to bag up as a gift. Kind of like those mixes in jars, only put the ingredients in a lunch size brown paper bag.

Applesauce can be bought in those little snack tubs, and there are some organic type wheat flours that can be bought in small packages, so there is little waste.

I will try this one in our toaster oven at work during the summer break -- unless I get out our large toaster oven that is in storage in the garage first. It is too large for our counter in the kitchen, the cabinets are too low, so was relegated to storage.

Archived