MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

storage for home canned food

preparing

The only thing that is bugging me about canning is where to put it. I live in a small trailer that is not well insulated. We have central air. Yesterday it was close to 80 in the house and then around 3:30 I got up to go to the bathroom and it was 65 in the house. This summer it will be 80 most of the time and then at night 65 to 70. The first couple of batches I put in boxes and I have away from a vent, but close to where the ceiling fan is and probably the coolest place in the house for the afternoon. Not sure what the temp is here, but I guess I will put a therometer there and see. Also, thinking of turning closet by front door into storage and build shelves. Anyway, will this up and down temp hurt the food? Keeping the jars in boxes, is that a good idea? I did it to keep the light off of them.

Here is some info for you. Keeping the temp within reasonable ranges (above freezing and below 75) and protecting the contents of jars from light would be the short answer to your question. Here's more:

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/emergency/fdsf.html

The Food Storage Area

The storage area should be located where the average temperature can be kept above 32 degrees Fahrenheit and below 70 F. Remember that the cooler the storage area, the longer the retention of quality and nutrients.

The storage area should be dry (less than 15 percent humidity), and adequately ventilated to prevent condensation of moisture on packaging material. Food should not be stored on the floor; the lowest shelf should be 2-3 feet off the floor. Date and rotate food every 6-12 months. Replace foods as used.

When designing and building a food-storage area, minimize areas where insects and rodents can hide. As practical, seal all cracks and crevices. Eliminate any openings that insects or rodents may use to gain entrance to the storage area.

Electrical equipment such as freezers, furnaces and hot water heaters should not be housed in the storage area. These appliances produce heat, which unnecessarily increases storage temperatures

This site also gives how long you can store food.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/348-960/348-960.html

I cleaned out a storage room off of the garage and built free a standing shelf unit. I then cut a hole above the door and installed an air conditioner. The hot water heater is the only other thing in the room, and I am going to put a water heater blanket on it. Without the blanket it stays about 64 degrees in the room which is 10'x7'x9'. I had a box of tomatoe's in there for 2 weeks and they kept very well.

I figure I can get about 950 quarts in there. If I need more room I have 4 shelves on the opposite wall that I can use.

wormie

John

preparing,

build a room off your trailer. This room will do two things... insulate your trailer which is a good thing and provide a place to store stuff. Depending on how large your trailer is and if your in a trailer park or on land will depend on how large you can make this.

It is like adding a porch the length of the trailer which is how you start.. then enclose it in. (you can always put a door on in a wall so you have access to it. You can divide up the long room into smaller rooms... guest room for me when I come visit which can double as a sewing/craft/hobby room, and storage room, laundry room (backing up to kitchen or bathroom) and even a green house!

If in a trailer park, turn part of your car port into storage by adding a small storage unit.. either built or purchased.

I always thought if I lived in a trailer, I would build a trap door in a closed and start digging under the trailer. Creating a room to use as storage.

I love your trap door idea, Wes. smileth6dee1705-2.gif

I always wanted to put a door in the basement wall and make a space for things in case things went bad.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. smileth6dee1705-2.gif

Archived