MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Lasagna Recipe

First off I take Hot and Sweet Italian Sausage and lots of garlic chucks, cut them in pieces and fry them in a tsp of olive oil. While they are cooking I par boil 2 boxes of P and R Lasagna Noodles. I use the boxed because its easier and less time consuming than making my own. While these items are cooking I take 1 pound of ground chuck and 1 lb of ground veal and combine them in a bowl with 1 cup of plain bread crumbs, Fresh Parsley, Fresh Garlic crushed, Salt and Pepper and 1/3 cup of Parmesan Grated Cheese. I mix all of these ingredience together and make meat balls.

When the sausage is browned I remove them from the frying pan to another bowl and put the meatballs in the skillet to brown on all sides keeping in the juices of the meat and spices.

Next I take a large container of Ricotta Cheese and empty it into a large bowl. I add one cup of milk, 2 eggs and fresh parsley and mix all together until creamy.

Putting the Lasagna together:

1 layer of noodles on the bottom.

next add a generous helping of ricotta cheese mixture

next add portions of meatballs and sausage

next add generous portions of mozzarella cheese over the meat,

next add sprinkles of Romano and Parmesan Cheese.

Keep adding these layers until all of your fillings are gone.

For the top of the lasagna add the last layer of noodles and then take a helping of tomato sauce and spread over the top of the lasagna and down the sides.

Add mozzarella all over the top of the lasagna and then sprinkle parmesan and romano cheese.

I bake this in the oven at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.

I let it cool for 20 minutes then I serve it with home made garlic bread and a nice green salad.

I also serve sauce on the side for those who enjoy their lasagna with more sauce.

In Italy my grandmother was taught by her mother to put hard boiled eggs in the lasagna.

Most Pastas in Italy have very little sauce on them. A few tablespoons is adequate.

I have become americanized in my distribution of sauce on pastas because mr. reci loves sauce.

I only use a little.

Reci, was your grandmother Italian? When I make Lasagne, I make a vegetarian version, as three of us like it better, and Julian will eat it although he says he prefers the meat version. Comapred to your recipe, the way I make mine must be quite an anglicised version I think.

The filling I use is vegetables - onion, tomatoes, mushroom, carrots, aubergine,beans, leftovers in fridge - which are put through the food processor to chop fine; they are put into a pan with chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, chopped garlic and lots of fresh oregano. Lid on, cook until vegetables are tender.

Make a thick cheese sauce, then put together: layer of veg, layer of lasagne, layer of veg, layer of lasagne, layer of veg, layer of lasagen, then topped off with cheese sauce and baked in a hot oven for 40 minutes until pasta done and golden brown on top. We like it with garlic bread and salad too.

This is a totally unauthentic version, but it tastes quite nice!! I get quite a few Italian books out of the library; I like their thick bean soups and their breads.

Lowie both sets of my grandparents are from Italy.

My maternal grandparents are from the Naples, Avellino Italy towns and my fraternal grandparents are from Northern Italy, Modena and Milano.

Both sides of grandmothers always had lots of fruits and vegetables at their dinner tables and some cheeses and small dishes of pasta.

In Italy alot of dining contains fruits and veggie instead of all the starchy pastas.

Sometimes I do the veggie lasagna like you Lowie. With the surgery my stomach ( whats left of it) can't handle alot of meat.

I love to make an eggplant lasagna with lots of veggies, cheese and a marinara sauce. The eggplant takes the place of the pasta. I don't flour or fry my eggplant either and the dish comes out very nice.

Mare this lasagna is very thick and very rich. After it stands for 20 minutes it comes out firm from the pan. I usually have the side bowl of sauce for all the sauce lovers to use on their pieces to make them a little more moist.