MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gas range with sealed burners

I've read with interst a number of posts about glass-topped ranges or cooktops (which I assume are electic). I believe I will need to replace my current gas range sometime in the next year---hopefully later rather than earlier. Anyway, I haven't looked at them in person yet, but I've looked online and it seems that they all say they have "sealed burners." From the picture, it appears that there is still the raised grate on top of the stove, so I'm hoping that means it would be safe to can on this type of range, unlike the glass topped ones. Can anyone tell me for sure?

Also, if you have one of these newer gas ranges, how do you like it? Would you recommend any particular brand? I'd love to get a professional gas range, but I'm not sure that will fit in the budget.

I have a range like this, and it is safe for canning. The sealed burners just mean there isn't something you have to lift up to clean beneath. I'm a clutz and always am spilling something or letting something boil over, and it saves me loads of time when I'm wiping up.

We purchased a Maytag about 6 months ago - sealed burners, self-cleaning oven. It's the first new range I've ever had and I really really like it.

Thanks, Keiko. I was hoping that was the case. And I'm happy to hear you like you range so much.

One other thing I'm curious about---sometimes the auto ignition for the burners on our gas range doesn't work, and I can just light it manually. Or, if the electricity is out, the auto ignition won't work, and, again, I'm able to light it manually. Is there any way to manually light the burners on your stove? I've really enjoyed being able to cook on my range even when the electricity is out, but I couldn't do it if I couldn't light the burners myself.

Thanks, Keiko. No problem with waiting for an answer --- it will hopefully be months before I have to replace my current range. I'm just planning ahead. I hate shopping, so I like to have things figured out in my head as far as what I want before I go so I don't have to spend any more time in the store than necessary.

Do NOT get one with an "electromagnetic" start, they will not be able to be lit if the pilot is out.

That's what we have, and it's absolutely useless (for a number of reasons). Also take your two largest pots (or your canner) and make sure they will fit on the burners on the same side, if they did before. I can't use the majority of my pans on the same side. Even a 12 inch skillet will not allow me to use a regular pot (umm, not the smallest one, the next size up), on the same side. Sure, they will fit, but the one in front hangs dangerously over the edge, and I scorch the back area if the pan is touching there. I dunno if it is because we have an apartment sized stove, or if it's because they are making (some) stoves smaller these days. If I use a stock pot or my large skillet (14 inches) I cannot use ANYTHING on the same side. If large pots are centered over the burner in front, they hang over the front edge as well.

Mo7

We have a fairly new gas Jenn-Air. The electronic igniters are useless. We light 3 of the burners with matches. If we do get nuked by terrorists, I'm kinda hoping that the Jenn-Air factory is at ground-zero.

Keep your eye out for a 1950s vintage gas range. Those were the best ones ever made.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good advice. I have a while (hopefully) before we'll actually have to replace the range. Right now I have a gas cooktop and an electric wall oven. I want to remodel the kitchen and instead have a freestanding gas range. Which brings me to a followup question ...

I have never had a gas oven and wonder how it compares to an electric one. I note that some ranges offer the gas cooktop with an electric oven, so I could go that route, also. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the gas oven compared to electric?

If the electric goes off you can still use the over by lighting the broiler area.

Electric oven is cooler to run in the summer time is the only difference I've found.

But I do like cooking on stove top with gas better than electric.

Archived