MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need help on canning

MrsWildweasel

My pressure canner the gauge isn't working. I canned green beans, but the gauge never went up to 10LB. Never left 0 for that matter.

I canned them for 20 minute (pints) I need to know if they will still be okay. I have heard the ping on all the lids. My mom had sent me this canner and this is the first I've used it.

I'm sorry to say that no, I don't think they will be safe to eat. Lids sealing does not mean that the food inside was processed adequately to remove all pathogens (things that make you sick).

Did you have your gauge tested? If not, that's your first step.

If your gauge is accurate, then you should review the instructions and make sure you didn't leave out any steps (like dropping on the weight-doo-hickey). I'm happy to go thru the instructions 'with you' (on-line) if that would help.

If you're sure you followed the directions exactly, then I suggest you take a good look at your gasket. It might not seal properly.

Well...I hope I am right, but I was told that for the jiggler canners, it is the weight that determines the pressure, temp. etc. and temp.gauge is to watch for too high temps. I have been canning, even though the temp gage isn't working on my AA . On my Presto, I think it is the gauge you have to watch and it has to be exact and if it doesn't work, you can't can.

MrsWildWeasle, if all you have to pressure can by is your dial gauge, and it does not have a weighted gauge, then HSmom is right, your green beans could potentially be unsafe because you are not secure in the fact that they were done at the right temperature.

If, however, your canner has a weighted gauge along with the dial gague, and you used the appropriate pressure weight for the correct amount of time, then your green beans would be fine.

It sounds like all you have on yours is a dial gauge, so call your local extension office and find out what you need to do to have them check it and see if they can fix it.

MWW

I know that they sell Presto pressure canners at Wal-Mart, and in the hardware store near my house they sell Presto and Mirro pressure canners. I ended up getting the All American canner, because I didn't want to worry about replacing seals, and I just wanted to buy now, and never have to replace it. I ordered mine from http://www.canningpantry.com/

Let me know if you are going to be up my way, and you can check it out in person!

Adam

Archived