MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sloppy Joe Recipes Just for Lowlander

Girlfriend Sloppy Joes are a quick and tasty sandwich. The filling is put in between hamburger buns or rolls but be careful, every time you take a bite of the sanny some of the filling falls out on the plate... we just spoon it back in the rolls or eat it from the spoon.

We have pickles and potato chips or crisps and some other raw veggies with them, to make a nice meal. Maybe you have something similar but call it by a different name Lowie!

1. Just for you Lowie Dear.....

Sloppy Joe Recipe Mix

SLOPPY JOES (Hamburger BBQ)

1 lb. lean ground beef

1 large or 2 small onions, ground or very finely chopped

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup catsup

1 Tbsp. prepared mustard

1 Tbsp. sugar

1 Tbsp. worcestersire sauce

1 tbsp. cider vinegar

1 tbsp. sweet pickle relish (optional)

Brown ground beeef and onion together over medium high heat, turning frequently and breaking up meat into small chunks. Meanwhile combine remaining ingredients except relish thoroughly in a bowl. Drain off any fat from meat-onion mixture. Add sauce and simmer over low hear for 30 - 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in pickle relish if used. Serve on hamburger buns. 4 servings

2.Turkey Sloppy Joe

1 pound Fresh Carolina Turkey Lean Ground

2 tablespoons low cholesterol oil or margarine

1 1/2 cups chopped onion

1 1/2 cups chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

1 can (10 1/4 oz.) condensed Campbell Special Request Tomato Soup

1 tablespoon barbecue sauce (optional)

Dash of McCormick black pepper

Brown the Carolina Ground Turkey in the oil or margarine. Stir in chopped vegetables. Cook just until tender. Mix in the Campbell Special Request Tomato Soup, the barbecue sauce (if desired) and the dash of McCormick black pepper. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Makes enough rich, flavorful filling for 12 buns.

3. WIMPIES (SLOPPY JOES)

1 lb. ground beef1 c. onion, chopped1/2 c. catsup1/2 c. chili sauce2 tbsp. prepared mustard1 tsp. salt1 dash of pepperHamburger buns

In skillet, brown ground beef and onion with salt and pepper. Drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes. Serve in buns.

4.Sloppy Joe Freezer Mix

Serves/Makes : 16 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Beef

4 pounds ground beef

2 1/2 large onions -- chopped

1 cup green pepper -- chopped

3 cloves garlic -- minced

3 cans tomato sauce -- 15 oz

1 can tomato paste -- 12 oz

2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook and stir meat in Dutch oven until brown.

Drain off fat. Stir in remaining ingredients;

heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer

15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Divide

mixture among four 1 quart freezer containers.

Cool quickly. Freeze no longer than 3 months.

To make Sloppy Joes, heat mixture in Dutch oven.

Serve over buns.

5. Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix

1 tb Instant Minced Onion

1 ts Salt

1/2 ts Instant Minced Garlic

1/4 ts Celery Seed

1 ts Green Pepper Flakes

1 ts Cornstarch

1/4 ts Dry Mustard

1/4 ts Chili Powder

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until well blended. Spoon mixture onto a 6-inch square of aluminum foil and fold to make airtight. Label as Sloppy Joe Seasoning Mix. Store in a cool, dry place and use within 6 months.

Makes 1 package (about 3 T) of mix.

6.Sloppy Joes: Brown 1 lb lean ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess grease. Add seasoning mix, 1/2 cup water, 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over toasted hamburger buns.

Makes 6 servings

Aha! Mince in a bun! I had really no idea what this was, so many thanks for explaining. We have nothing like that over here at all. Don't think my hubby would go gor something that falls out of the bun, though. the children might enjoy them. so I'll definitely try it, but probably with Quorn mince instead of meat. do you have Quorn over there?

Up till now, I knew Sloppy Joes as big oversized jumpers (sweaters, jerseys?) from the 1960's. Try putting that in a bun. Many thanks Reci, will print it out.

Sometimes I take some leftover sloppy joe mix and mix it with cooked elbow macaroni and put some cheese on top to melt into the mix and macaroni. Mr. Reci likes this. You can use cheddar or mozzarella cheese or both on top of the dish.

Is Quorn a form of vegetarian protein supplement Lowie?

Brigid you're nutty. LOL.

Quorn is a myco-protein made from a fungus similar to mushrooms, and a good source of protein for vegetarians. I do use it, and it comes minced, in pieces or fillet shapes. Cooked in sauce, or made into chilli, etc it is quite difficult to tell it apart from meat, I think. Hubby enjoys it until I tell hime it's not meat, then he makes faces. His problem! My only concern is that it uses egg-white in its production, but they don't use free-range eggs. They were asked about it, but said the quantities of free-range eggs available to them weren't sufficient for them to use all the time. I'm not big on compromise, but there you go, so Quorn it is. do you have it in the US/Canada? Quorn sausages are very good, and one of our favourites.