MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lowie do you cook alot of game?

I taped the Two fat Ladies cooking Marathon on Sunday and they cooked with alot of quail and squab and other gamey meats. Do you cook with alot of game? Some of those dishes looked really good.

I had to laugh when they went to the Prince Charles Duchy Farms to get a piece of beef. Jennifer wanted to see Prince Charles because she had cooked for him at one time. The head of the Duchy wouldn't bother the Prince...

Jennifer and Clarissa are something else. Its too bad Jennifer passed away. She was a great cook!

Hi Reci, interesting post!

I don't cook a lot of game now. Bethany and I are vegetarian, Ethan wouldn't eat it because he would prefer to see it running around in the wild, and Julian is not a huge fan. so for one only it's not really worth buying a whole pheasant, or whatever. In the game season, the supermarkets sell packs of mixed game ready for cooking - usually venison, pheasant, rabbit etc. Julian doesn't like pigeon or quail. He quite likes a mixed game pie, or a venison casserole or steak. There is only one man licenced to kill game around here, and he offered us some venison, but it was a large quantity and would have taken up most of the freezer, and would take J years to get through, so we didn't take him up on his offer.

When I cheffed in hitels, particularly in Scotland, i cooked lots of game when it was in season. Venison was always the favourite, then pheasant. In the posher hotels I cooked pigeon, quail, etc as well. When I was wee, my Dad used to go pheasant beating for a shoot on one of the big estates in the next village to ours. He went beating for Prince Charles's party several times. He would come home with lots of pheasants. (I used to eat meat when I was younger). My mother always hung them up in the store room for days on end before plucking them, and I would always forget when I went in there and didn't put the light on and got slapped in the face by a very ripe, very dead pheasant!! I have plucked and drawn them with my mother and Granny, but wasn't keen. there are a lot of wild deer around where we live now, and they sadly get hit on the roads because they leap out of hedges straight into the path of a passing car. If you see one by the side of the road, you can guarantee that it won't be there next day! There's lots of people who, if you know them, will get you game which isn't always legal. You have to be licenced to sell it in this country, but there are obviously ways around it!!

How do you like being a Vegan Lowie? I love the bean soups and stews, the veggie burgers and other items that are vegan.

My niece is of get this Italian Japanese descent and she is training to be a chef so she tests her veggie tempura and other veggie dishes out on me when I can eat. Her Japanese granny taught her the fine art of japanese cooking while my mother has taught her many Italian dishes.

I grew up eating mostly fruits and veggies because thats the way my grandparents ate with their families in Italy so sometimes I don't really miss meat at all. Beef and I do not get along so I make myself something else when Mr. Reci wants a nice steak.

I stick mostly to eating cheese and some dairy products, lots of veggies and perhaps some chicken and turkey at times. I love a good turkey soup.

Many of the vegan foods we have in the states taste pretty good. I have some vegan Italian Sausage, Bacon, Pizzaburgers, Garden and Chili Vegan Burgers and other Items in my freezer and they are great. I love the vegan bacon and usually make a bacon sanny when I can eat. Then I pick on peanuts and grains.

How are the vegan products in your country as far as expense and taste?

Vegan products are pretty thin on the ground in the supermarkets, but more easily obtainable at the health food shops. I swing between vegan and vegetarian; I like my cheese, especially the local English ones, so miss that when I don't have it. I do eat a lot of soya because of the health benefits - I particularly like the soya yoghurt and soya milk. I cook with soya chunks quite often, and buy them by the sack from the wholefood co-op. Vegetarian foods are very easy to get here, including in the supermarkets , but being cynical, I suspect that it is because there is a lot of money to be made there!

I make vegetable tempeh sometimes. I put beer in the batter sometimes, which I'm sure the Japanese don't do, but it does give a nice light batter. Don't fancy the sushi much, though!

I'm very interested in the foods that other cultures eat, and love to read about them. One of the countries I'm very interested in, for a lot of reasons, is Tibet; I'm doing a workshop on Tibetan cookery later this year for a group I belong to. It will be vegetarian Tibetan cookery, but they do eat a lot of meat - mutton, goat, yak, etc. I would also like to have a go at macrobiotics. I've got several books about this, and it is the balance element of the philosophy that appeals to me there, the yin and yang thing.

All that being said, I am a bit of a chocaholic!!

all that food talk makes me hungry... excuse me while i get a bag of tater chips and salt shaker. .....

I guess not; I had put a couple of signs up in the kitchen to help us to eat healthlier..

"Eat to live, Not to live to eat." and

let your food be your medicane and let your medicane be your food.....

that cheesecake at happy's party looks good though.....

Wow I am impressed Lowie. Don't you think the macrobiotic diet is strict? I know a doctor who swears by it though and my own medical doctor is turning vegetarian so she and I compare foods, vitamins and other at the health food stores.

I don't mind the veggie dishes at all and I eat mostly lacto myself.

I have been trying to make a vegetable broth but haven't had much luck making it tasty. You wouldn't happen to have a recipe would you? By the way I sent you some dry sloppy joe mix packets and some other dry food packets along with a couple of books in the mail yesterday. You can make veggie sloppy joes. Let me know when you receive them. The postmaster said it may take 6 to eight weeks or more even though I mailed them out air express.