MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

All Peared up

JCK88

loveplace

I am so happy to be in a place where people do canning!!! NOBODY near me does this.

Today I finished my pears. You know how when you get a bunch of pears some of them don't ripen at the same rate so you can't can them all at once? Well, I did the pears the other day but today I had to finish them for good, LOL So I added 20 more pints and I am all done. It was 92 in here this morning while I did them.....

BUT...we just got some nice rain and it has cooled off. It has been so dry I was worrying about my well. The grass, of course, is all crunchy now...

However, I have pears!! And online canning buddies. Life is good.

Judy, I'm in New England as well. My mom and I are the only ones I ever knew that canned as well. However, I have recently converted a few of my friends to canning. I'm bound and determined to get everyone growing a garden and canning up the goodies!

I think the recent food scares and recalls, plus the economic situation, have people starting to realize:

1.) Home-canned food is safer and healthier.

2.) Home-canned foods prepared while prices are lower and foods in season are *cheaper*!

I was reading on a news site that there is a big spike in home canning this year.

We never know how our experiences here, and talking about them, might be helping a lurker gain the confidence THEY need to can!

clap

bighug

You're right Cat. For me, canning means I know the ingredients--so no allergic reactions. But my non-allergic family says they like the home-canned things because they taste yummy!

And Heather, so nice to meet another New Englander. I'm up here in "Cow Hampshire" LOL

Archived