MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I can't wait for Winter to start my genealogy again...

LazyBear

That is true. Many cannot imagine doing that but.........when TSHTF it may come down to living in very similar situations. That is where the knowledge you could gain by possibly running across a family diary or journal would be invaluable.

PS....

Didn't mean to down play your discovery. The thought hit me between the eyes and my fingers took over. I wish I could have that sort of heritage and hope for a journal or diary to arise from it.

CONGRATULATIONS13.jpg

Isn't it fun to find new people for your genealogy. smile I know we have found several cousins on line too.

We are at a stand still on a couple lines, but, I WON'T give up, not yet, not until I can't look/hunt any longer. smile

I know it is so hard to think of people having to do that way, but they did and if they hadn't just think what and where we would all be today.

Changes are made and have to be made. I'm so thankful for so many changes. smile

I don't want to have to be one who has to go on foot into a different area, but, if one has to, we will do it and then maybe think of those who did it 150 - 200 years ago.

psycoturtle.gifHAPPYMONDAY3.gifHUGS34.gif

My son's ancestors were among the first to go from St. Louis to Oregon on the Oregon Trail. One of the women kept a diary that is now in the state archives. The went in the typical covered wagon group. It is truly amazing. Can you imagine folks trying to do that today? No fast food along the way, no motels, no Walkmen, no heat or a/c for months at a time.

That is pretty amazing. So many of them started out with such big plans and overloaded wagons. They say the trail was line with stuff that became too much to carry that they found that they no longer needed. I guess when you are carrying everything that you own and need, defining need might change. I have read that as they got to places that were to hard to cross with the heavier loads, stoves and all sorts of "modern" conviences got left behind so that they could go on. I wonder how hard we will find it to leave behind our "modern conveinces" and keep only the neccessities.

I am not made out of the stuff my pioneer ancesters were made of. I respect and love them for all they went through. I hope never to have to leave my home at age 65/70 but, I will do anything to protect my children and grandchildren. On my fathers side his family came from England in 1857 and 1868. One came to Utah by covered wagon and one came by train. How ever they came they left everything and every loved one behind to embark on a journey with trials I don't know I could go through. Their faith in their God was so strong it carried them through death of loved ones, hunger, poverty and colonization of new territory. I fall back on their strength all the time. Henny Penny

Archived