MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Prepping

huronscoot

First post for me. If I am posting in the wrong thread please feel free to move it. I am looking for canning recipes for meals that I can put up for convience and long term storage. In particular chile, stews, chicken ala king etc. In other words a meal in a jar. I have the blue book but I wonder what kind of convienece foods you all can.

I make a beef and macaroni dish that is real spicy and the family loves it. Can I can it? Will the macaroni turn to mush? Maybe someone can point me to a website that has more than the traditional canning recipes like corn,beans, tomatoe sauce etc.

Dear huronscoot, Welcome to the Bunch! They are going to want you at the Sun Porch for a welcome celebration. No macaroni in the canning jar, as I understand. But, you can add it at point of serving. I am trying to figure out how to get HSmom's Very Best Spaghetti Sauce recipe here for you. I left out the seasonings when I canned it so that I can use it as a base for lots of stuff. My menfolk are eating it faster than I can keep up! You'll be inspired by all these canning ladies ( and a few men, too)Hugs! Shari

It is hard to find recipes that are safe to can from a lot of websites. Please, be safe, and can things that conform to USDA standards. Botulism is nothing to mess with.

Sorry, no pasta in canning. No thickeners other than Clear jel for pie fillings and pectin for jams. No butter, milk, dairy of any kind, not pasta, rice, barley, etc. are safe to add to canned foods. Oh, and also no eggs.

If you want some better recipes, try the new Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, not the same as the BAll Blue book, or the Small Batch Preserving by Ellie Topps. Her book is just water bath canned things, but some interesting sauces and things.

Also, this site may help you out.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html

Most people can things like chili, pork n beans, baked beans, stews, spaghetti sauce, stew, soups, meats, etc. for quick meals. There is also chili sauce that makes good sloppy joes.

huron, welcome to MrsSurvival. We're glad you joined us, and your thoughts about canning *meals in a jar* is alot of what I do.

I home can marinara, chicken soup, split pea soup, beef stew, conch chowder, chilis, all kinds of meats and veggies and fruits, etc. In fact, I can anything that is within the legal boundries of canning, except for the things that Violet mentioned (thickeners, dairy, etc).

What in particular would you like to can, or are you just looking for more ideas? While there are some things that I can't can because they contain dairy or thickeners, I can homecan the base ingredients to throw together later in a quick fashion that will make a complete meal.

Try this section... Preserving the Harvest - Recipes http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...stlist&Board=39

Annie's Salsa; Chicken Soup; Split Pea Soup with Ham; My very best spaghetti sauce; bean/hamburger/tomato stuff; baked beans; Canned Green Tomatoes; Canning ham...

Many more (including stew and chili) scattered around this section... http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthrea...Board=30&page=1

Archived