MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Raw pack turkey

Heather

I just got 2 huge turkeys and would like to raw pack. I've always done hot pack from cooked turkey though. Can I really just put raw turkey in the jars with nothing else and can it? What about the rule that everything should be hot first?

Thanks

Heather, I can my poultry products raw. I then add boiling hot water and pour it over the meat in the jars and then put the lids on and process them in the canner for 75 minutes for pints, and 90 minutes for quarts. That's how I've always done it...

Now the National Center for Home Food preservation says to place raw meat into the jars without adding water, and I'm sure there's a reason for that, but I hafta admit I don't know what it is...perhaps Violet would know.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/...20Game%20Birds)

Originally Posted By: susie
I don't put any water into mine, it makes a nice broth all on it's own.
yeahthat

Darlene, I suspect that by adding additional water, when the meat makes it's own liquid, there is the risk of the jars 'overflowing,' so to speak, and not sealing properly. shrug

Heather, when raw-packing meat, do use hot jars and hot lids/rings, even though the meat is cold. Unless you are used to a VERY low sodium diet, you will probably want salt in the jars - a teaspoon per quart.

They are in the canner right now. I put a little salt and pepper in the jars as well. Cutting up a raw turkey is a pain! My MIL is giving me another one next week, so I'll be doing it again. The carcass is in the soup pot now, so I'll be canning broth in a few more hours.

HS, the water in the meat keeps the same space after processing in a liquid, whether it's inside the meat our outside. I've never had sealing issues and I've canned tons of meat. Essentially, canning without any liquid would give a stronger broth than canning with a liquid like I do, which would produce a weaker broth.

Archived