MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Would you use this meat?

I planning on cooking some deer meat this weekend. But when I was going through my deep freeze, I found a sack of deer round steaks and tenderloin that I had totally forgot was in there. It's probably been in there a good two years! It was packaged well and I thawed it out in the fridge, but I'm wondering if it's still ok to use?

Thoughts?

Dittos to Leah's post... smell it.

And if it's not freezer-burnt, too.

I'd use it. I would use spices and/or marinade, but as long as it smelled good with no "burn", I wouldn't be afraid. Cook it thoroughly, as with any wild game.

bighug

This past week I found a whole chicken in the back of my freezer. The date on the store label said "use or freeze by 11/03/06!!!!. No off smells, no freezer burn, cooked up nicely. Fed us 7 servings and part of the carcass is back in the freezer for stock. Free food - can't beat it! (Finally remembered it had been given to us frozen to help after our house fire in December of that year.)

Dora

Well, I'm using them. I first marinaded them in a marinade that I found at my local store. Then I got concerned that perhaps they were not rinsed well enough and there could be blood still. So I drained the marinade and rinsed all the meat. (But they had been in there long enough for some of that flavor to sink in.) Then I made a big batch of beef consume and put them in that overnight. I put it all in the crock pot last night with garlic, cracked pepper and sea salt and I've been letting it cook on low all night.

My house smells sooooo gooooooood!!

Archived