MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My dog is now an official rat-chaser

Eagle3

Tonight I found evidence of a rat in the gardening corner of the garage...it had apparently been feasting on the rye grass seed. My dog has been out in the garage the last few weeks REALLY sniffing out that corner. Upon investigation of the mess the rat had left, and the sniffing antics of the dog, we caught sight of the rat. Pup chased it between two boxes, then it escaped and made a beeline for Mom's shoes. She screamed and the rat jumped in mid-air and ran back to the corner. I have never seen my dog in such a definitive "search and destroy" mode (unless the squirrels are running the fence)...his tail was curled into a question mark, almost doing a Malamute thing, and his shoulders had visibly bulked up. Now, imagine a 130# dog trying to stomp on a rat to kill it, in a very crowded corner and that's what we had. Didn't get the rat, but we set traps out with some of its favorite food on it...P. butter covered in the grass seed. Hope it works, this thing was huge and VERY healthy-looking.

Peanut butter. Even better, don't set the trap at first. Rats are naturally suspicious critters.

Put the UN-set trap out with plenty of peanut better. Add more peanut butter each day...until the rats are quite used to dining at "Eagle3's Eatery". After three to seven days, go ahead and set the trap, I'm sure you'll get something. Repeat as needed.

That's a good idea...he set the trap off already but his head wasn't in it, so we're going to get one of the live-traps and see if that works. We cleaned out the corner he's been hiding in so his supply of food has disappeared. Hopefully he'll be easier to trap that way.

I don't like live traps... SOMEBODY has to kill it, and it's not gonna be ME!!! DarleneSwoon

I like the idea of letting him think the trap's safe.

I got trapped in a bathroom once with a rat... still gives me the shivers... awwman

Glue traps suck. If you use a glue trap, either it will take days for the dumb thing to die or you'll have to kill it yourself. I used one once, the little mouse had gnaw marks on both his front legs, from trying to chew them off to get away. At least a snap trap does the deed quickly (when it finally does).

Archived