MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Practicing Preps-Bird Flu

Mother

On the Nature's Prescriptions forum we are starting some topics on practicing our preps. I thought it might be a good thread for here as well.

For this practice we will say the bird flu has gained the ability of sustained Human to Human transmission and a full fledged pandemic has hit your country.

What will you and your family be doing about this situation?

What plans do you have to isolate from the outside world and how soon will you institute that plan?

Despite your best plans one or several of your family members have developed symptoms of bird flu. There is no doctor or medical facility available to you, what will you do to treat this situation?

bighug

My first line of defense will be to isolate ourselves, then a daily doses of Colloidal Silver, 4 oz a day to drink each person, and a solution of CS in an aerosol mister for nasal passages. Since there are no known bacteria or virus that CS does not kill, I would be happy with this as a preventative, as well as a treatment. Therefore anyone in my household that contracted the flu would be treated with the CS and their temp kept within safe margins with sponge baths. Please remember that an elevated temp is your bodies way of killing off bacteria and virus.

We intend to isolate ourselves if it hits. That is one of many reason for our prepping.

If one of us gets sick, I'm figuring on treating it at home. So far, world-wide, hospitals are doing a poor job of treating people. True, they are Third World hospitals, but the WHO is rushing in also, and still it seems most die. Unless the virus becomes less deadly as it mutates into a human-to-human form (which is definitely possible) I figure herbal remedies might have a better chance of saving a person - we think it is worth a try, as the chances of dying in a hospital look pretty good (or bad). If the bird flu mutates into something less deadly, we'll reassess. Then too, the hospitals might be so overwhelmed that even our best take on Third World characteristics. Right now, the plan is to use an extra bedroom as a sick room and treat it at home. I've stocked up on sick room supplies, respirators, gloves, disinfectants, etc.

The treatments I am stocking up for are really untested against H5N1 (as are Western medicines, really). But I'll throw out my thoughts on them, for whatever they are worth. I'm not a doctor, and I don't even play one on TV. I'm just an herbie. So whatever you do, if you choose to try to treat it yourself, don't do what I say - research it yourself and come up with your own darned plan!!!!!!!!!

Green tea. Anti-viral

Garlic. Anti-viral and reduces cytokine production

Turmeric/curcumin with Piperine - may decrease the risk of cytokine storm

Skullcap - anti-viral.

And now for the completely controversial thing I am considering strongly enough to have 1 pound of dried fruits in my freezer:

Elderberry - it was very powerful against the pandemic flu in 1918, which also had a severe danger of cytokine storm as a cause of death. It is very powerful against regular flu. BUT, it promotes cytokine production. BUT it helped save the lives of those in 1918 despite its reputation for increasing cytokine production. Due to its ability to reduce viral load by inhibiting viral replication, I think it is an herb to strongly consider. I know if I get the bird flu, I WILL use it. If Cowboy gets the flu, he will decide if he takes it.

And, another thing that I have quite a bit of on hand (although not enough - I've been buying it regularly, though to get a large supply) is Benadryl. No, it isn't an herb. But it is used in hospitals (IV form) to combat cytokine storms.

One thing I am still researching is resveratrol. I may add some to my stocks, but have not yet.

The homeopathic remedy gelsemium is widely promoted by those who are more familiar with homeopathy than I am. I've not acquired any yet, but I probably will.

Isolation might be difficult...

Things I keep on hand-

Garlic: dried, fresh, sealed in oil.

Raisins and peanuts for Resveratrol (forgive my spelling).

I have pacages of Oscilliococcinum (say that 4 times very fast!) laugh

I want to get Gelsemium and Bryonia.

Luckily, I near a whole foods market and might get it there.

Isn't there something like silver collidal? (I'm leery of turning blue

wink

Archived