MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes...

Jeepers

My fireplace, which has an insert, decided to lay a smoke bomb. What a mess. Last night I started a fire and no matter what I did it was bound and determined to smoke. So, I finally got it going and was watching a movie using my laptop. I thought I smelled something but no big deal. Then I heard a shrill sound. Muted the computer...not that. Looked up and the room was filled with smoke from the fireplace. How could I not have noticed that!?!? The shrill sound was the smoke alarm upstairs. rollingeyes

I'm glad to know it works but gees, it's hard to turn those things off when they are shrilling like that. It's good and loud too.

So...now everything and I mean everything has a layer of sooty smoke stuff on it. Even the dishes in the cabinet. I guess spring cleaning is going to come early for me this year. I so don't want to do it now. mecry

Yuck on that mess Jeepers! What in the world happened? We used to have a wood burner and sometimes we'd get the smoke smell but never such a backup. It sounds like you've got your days work figured out for you.

Hope it's not too bad. bighug

I'm not sure what went wrong. I had the damper open and the air vents too. After I opened the doors it was just fine. It must have been some sort of down draft or something. I really didn't want to start spring cleaning until after I was finished with the fireplace for the year. Maybe I am finished!

I'll stick all the dishes in the dishwasher and clean out all of the cabinets to start. Then decide about the rest later. I know I'm goinging to have to wash the walls down. I just take a Swiffer floor cleaner and do my walls with that.

Thanks for the hug!

The movie is a hoot! It is one of my favorites. It's an oldie but goodie called, Packin' It In.

A family gets fed up with the rat race etc. and goes to the hills in Oregon. They meet up with a few survivalists etc. one guy lives in a bunker. It's a comedy.

I always think of that movie when people talk about hiding or burying supplies. In one scene the little grocery store has "midnight gardeners" for sale. They are sort of like small metal milk cans. You put food in them and bury them in your yard so the neighbors can't find your stash.

I had it on VHS and my son knew how much I liked it so he burned it on to a DVD for me. It's really fluffy and hokey but it always makes me laugh. Even through a smoke storm in the family room. campfire

Archived