MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cleaning rusty cast iron skillets?

We wirebrush the ones we get if the rust flaking has produced a rough surface but it doesn't look hopeless. Whoever drops by gets handed a brush and a layer of newspaper to cover the leg. Takes several days sometimes.

My late brother in law used air tools. We've been talking about getting an air compressor. Could you point me to a primer on what to look for?

Air compressors - it depends on what your use will be, your power source, and what you want to spend. I went through 4 of the $1000 Box store compressors for my sand-blaster before buying a $3000 Ingorsol Rand. It was the biggest unit that they had for 220v. It has outlasted the other 4 combined by 10 years of daily use.

Aluminum heads run hotter and faster and put more condensed air into the lines (bad thing). They get their CFM through high speed which wears them out faster. I'd recommend cast iron heads.

I do have a little one for running my nail guns when I'm on the roof or something. Its a porter Cable and for what it does, it is excellent - was about $150. But it won't run a sandblaster. Not enough volume.

Thank you. We wanted it to set rivets (my son's teacher suggested he spend time practicing this outside of class), to dust, to paint, and to inflate. We were hoping to set up a sand box, but were pretty sure what we could afford wouldn't do that--which you've confirmed.

So it's still the wirebrush for the rusted out skillets for us. Oh well.

Just for the wire brush - Why not just a wire brush for power drill?

Any of the air tool attachments I use will fit a 3/8" hand drill, battery or plug-in.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200349303_200349303?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Abrasives%3EWire%20Wheels%20%2B%20Brushes&cm_ite=339004?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=339004

This one works pretty well,

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSu7zK1fslxtUNxmUOY_9ev7qe17zHvTSevTSeSSSSSS--

But these are what I use for polishing in the shop

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_370508.html?PID=1116689

A 36 grit sand paper just on the floor of the pan, keep away from the edges because it will "cut" a groove in the edge.

60 grit roll up the sides - keep it moving to keep the transition smooth - work from the center to the outside and up the side, then back to the center - not circular around the circumference, because the edge of the disk can groove the wall.-

100 grit to polish

then the coarse brown scotchbrite to blend all the sanding marks out.

The main benefit of air tools is I can work in a wet environment - this stuff works much better when the surface is flooded with water to carry away the crud and keep it cool.

In any high speed rotation tool, wear goggles or full face shield, and gloves.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to taking pics.

I know, its not that big of a deal, but it worked so well I'm just really tickled.

I've been pondering for along time how to make use of this space, but not being sure it would work, I was hesitant to drill/cut into this overhead beam.

I ened up making a ladder out of 2 pieces of angle iron with the "steps" being a couple strips of flat steel strips. Bought the hooks at Lowes, and welded them on, welding through the holes that were originally made for screws. Then I painted the whole thing with Rustoleum "hammered bronze".

Is straddles the beam and is 100% removeable with no marring. Now all I need are some decent pans - most of these are cheap garage sale pans.

castiron-01.jpg

castiron-02.jpg

Archived