MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

HELP w/Weight for pressure canner

Evergreen

Sorry to holler but I am confused!!!

OK Ladies- I sure hope someone is near their computer-

On my pressure canner- after I let steam escape for 10 minutes (making beef stew w/ veggies) I put the 10 on the round weight facing down on the vent pipe- and then BB book says it should pressurize in about 5 minutes -

How do I know when it has pressureized?

Adjust heat to maintain pressure for reccomended time (1 hour 30 minutes)

How do I know it is maintianing? Does the weight jiggle while it is maintianing -or just hiss???? I have canned but it has bee na couple of years and I cant remember!!!

Oh Lord, Please direct one of these women who know to their computer now! In Jesus name, thanks! Amen!

TIA if you can help

Evergreen, it is pressureized when the weight jiggles. Also it is maintaining the pressure as long as it is jiggling. If it stops you will need to adjust the hear a little higer.

wormie

John

God sent a man to answer my prayer!!!! see God know what we need even when we ask wrong!

Thank you!! thanks

I am just now waiting for the steam to come... off to make some bread ...at least I know how to do that,,,,

May I intrude on this question, please?

I have 2 older canners with the gauge. Had read that I could use a weight to determine the pressure, but when I ordered new weights the person a "the canning company" told me no in no uncertain terms, to use the weight and not the gauge. When I use the 15 lb weight, it starts to jiggle at about 12 and is spinning by 15 lbs. If I were to let it go at 15 I am sure all the water would escape before I could reach the canning time.

What do you think?

I have read the amount of jiggling depends on the brand of pressure canner you have. I have a Presto and it jiggles all the time - and it's supposed to. I believe that the Mirros are supposed to jiggle 6-8 times a minute. Don't know anything about the All-Americans or other brands.

HTH, Ginny

Virginia, go by the weight for accurace in pressure with your canning. The dial will always be more inaccurate.

Evergreen, disregard what all the books say about 'your canner should reach pressure in 5 min'...

THAT depends on the way your stove is able to heat up...some stoves are hotter than others, plus the altitude that one is at contributes to that.

You might be able to boil water in 5 min, it might take me 3 or 10 minutes. Our stoves are different, our altitude is different...all these variables play a part in it.

Just know that you put your canner on high till it gets up to pressure and then adjust it afer to keep the constant pressure/heating during processing.

Thanks so much for all the help! bighug

Everything is going great 22 minutes left to go.

Bread is in the oven. (I had a great time kneeding the dough to get rid of my pent up anxiety from the canning)

DMIL just came to pick up son for little leigue (sp?)game. I hope my canner will depressureize quickly and I can be there before he knocks one over the fence and I miss it! (I have an hour)

Thanks again for all the help!!!!! thanksbouquetthanks

OK- Another question...

How long does it take to depressurize? My weight stopped jiggling about 10 minutes ago but when I took it off steam poured from the vent pipe so I put it back on...

????

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....nononononono

Please don't ever take the weight off till your dial gauge registers 0...

The depressurization is as important to the whole safe canning process as the pressurizing and processing times are...

I'm sorry, I didn't think to mention that before hand.

Well, when ya think about it, the 'weight' part never needs to get checked yearly to make sure it's accurate lol, only the dial does.

*be nice darlene and don't say what you're thinking about the lady at presto*...

darlene

Originally Posted By: Virginia
Thanks Darlene. I was all ready to trust the weight, but the woman at Presto (I think) was very definite that I could not use the weight as accurate on a gauge canner.

OK now I am confused....(I know nothing new) bounce

awwwww ((((evergreen))))

All Virginia and I are saying is that for those that have a weighted gauge canner that also has a dial gauge on it, to rely on the weight and not the dial.

Does that make more sense?

Originally Posted By: Darlene
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....nononononono

Please don't ever take the weight off till your dial gauge registers 0...

The depressurization is as important to the whole safe canning process as the pressurizing and processing times are...

I'm sorry, I didn't think to mention that before hand.

Ok- One more question (for this 5 minutes LOL)

I do not have a dial guage- so how do I know when the canner is depressurized???

Archived